Astra Owners Network banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
606 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Want to replace my glow plugs on my 1.9 cdti 150bhp. What ones do you recommend to use? ones from main dealer are a fortune

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
158 Posts
Cheaper ones on ebay but go for NGK or Bosch worth the extra, be warned they are a bitch to get out, you should soak as much as possible before attempting to remove them, they will likely snap off at the glow tip which will be left in the block, don't worry too much if that happens as the car will start fine with at least two working may be lumpy and smokey, if it does snap this is what I advise to remove them, soak the bit left with some WD 40 for a bit.

Make up a small sheet of metal or wood and secure it in place or jam it under the engine cover and over the hole and run the engine......for gods sake do not put you face or hands anywhere near the hole with the engine running as if it decides to shoot out you will be injured, for really stubborn ones you may have to drive the car for a few days, it will come out eventually just keep the new one handy to put it in when it does, the reason for the sheet of metal is to protect from injury and also stop it going straight through the engine cover and denting the bonnet, trust me I've seen it done many times.

Don't be tempted to hit it snapped off bit into the cylinder, once it's in there it will do lots of damage and nearly impossible to get it out

Ebay Bosch £24.60 good price:
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/X4-Bosch...128172&hash=item237a9f15a6:g:osAAAOSw2xRYa3mU

·
Registered
606 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Fingers crossed they come out easily then. Yeah i have found some bosch ones to replace with

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
158 Posts
Good luck and take your time and work them out, sometimes undoing it and doing back up and working them out helps as it helps to break down the carbon build up.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Cheaper ones on ebay but go for NGK or Bosch worth the extra, be warned they are a bitch to get out, you should soak as much as possible before attempting to remove them, they will likely snap off at the glow tip which will be left in the block, don't worry too much if that happens as the car will start fine with at least two working may be lumpy and smokey, if it does snap this is what I advise to remove them, soak the bit left with some WD 40 for a bit.

Make up a small sheet of metal or wood and secure it in place or jam it under the engine cover and over the hole and run the engine......for gods sake do not put you face or hands anywhere near the hole with the engine running as if it decides to shoot out you will be injured, for really stubborn ones you may have to drive the car for a few days, it will come out eventually just keep the new one handy to put it in when it does, the reason for the sheet of metal is to protect from injury and also stop it going straight through the engine cover and denting the bonnet, trust me I've seen it done many times.

Don't be tempted to hit it snapped off bit into the cylinder, once it's in there it will do lots of damage and nearly impossible to get it out

Ebay Bosch £24.60 good price:
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/X4-Bosch-Diesel-Glow-Plugs-0250203001-VAUXHALL-ZAFIRA-1-9D-16V-150bhp-2004-2011/152381101478?fits=Model:Astra&epid=1551128172&hash=item237a9f15a6:g:eek:sAAAOSw2xRYa3mU
I have the same problem just the 9mm scree has come out but middle part is still in? HELP PLEASE!!!

·
Registered
158 Posts
I have the same problem just the 9mm scree has come out but middle part is still in? HELP PLEASE!!!
So long as the thread has come out just follow the above, if the thread is still in, you will need an extractor or remove the head....some just leave it and live with it.

·
Registered
1 Posts
So long as the thread has come out just follow the above, if the thread is still in, you will need an extractor or remove the head....some just leave it and live with it.
Ive got a light on dash with glow plug error. What do you mean extractor???? The threads come off so if i leave it off will the compression blow the plug out??

·
Registered
158 Posts
Ive got a light on dash with glow plug error. What do you mean extractor???? The threads come off so if i leave it off will the compression blow the plug out??
If you are saying the thread came out with the snapped off bit then let the compression blow it out, you will need to soak it regularly, cover the hole as when it comes out it will go like a bullet.

It may take days to come out, soaking it will help loosen it.

An extractor I would use as a last resort and only if the thread is left in the block, it's normally just the smaller end (glow tip).
Extractor shown in video.

Do you have a picture of the snapped off part that came out?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts