Astra Owners Network banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Whats my options. I've been quoted £1,100 for a reconditioned unit.

Can mine be fixed?
Anyone know anyone selling a decent 2nd hand unit?

Basically want to get the car moving again using the cheapest method I can as funds are tight atm :(

Any help would be very much apprecaiated chaps

·
40,693 Posts
If the gearbox has totally failed then it may not be saveable. It would cost £500 ish for new bearings fitted IF your gearbox is saveable. That's why it's adviseable to get the bearings done before total failure. I've just had my Bearings replaced, new clutch, flywheel, oil seal changed and oil/filter change for not much more than you've been quoted for a recon gearbox.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
If the gearbox has totally failed then it may not be saveable. It would cost £500 ish for new bearings fitted IF your gearbox is saveable. That's why it's adviseable to get the bearings done before total failure. I've just had my Bearings replaced, new clutch, flywheel, oil seal changed and oil/filter change for not much more than you've been quoted for a recon gearbox.
It's not totally failed in the sense that I was still driving it.

I was driving along and put it into 6th @ about 50-60mph and it sort of slipped out of drive, popped out of gear, then I could hear bits flying about. I nursed it home from work at no more than 50mph and didnt dare use 6th gear again. Once home I was too scared to drive it again.

The garage has said its the gearbox, but I've no idea of the extent of the damage.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'm looking on ebay atm, is it a specific gearbox to my car/engine or is it just an M32 box. I.e a VXR donar will fit e.t.c?

·
A.O.N - Club Member
531 Posts
Vxr will be wrong gearing, it needs to be the cdti box specific to the 1.9

·
Registered
384 Posts
gearbox bearings last december ,£550 ,still think ,to this bloody day ,they did"nt need doing as no signs what so ever...on this subject ,should you not get a gurantee of said work ?..........a reciept of work done aint a gurantee to me or is it ,been a long day :lol:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts