Astra Owners Network banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

So my wifes Astra elite 1.8 is developing an issue and its getting worse.
The engine is fully serviced by myself every year, and 6 months ago i fitted a genuine GM Delco DI pack as well.
Engine is at 115,000 miles.

First start of the day in the morning it will start and struggle to idle. Idle will go up and down from about 800 to 1300rpm as the idle valve tries to get the engine at a stable idle. It sounds like its missing as its rough. And very occasionally i can hear a quiet induction backfire.
After say 15 seconds it clears and its sweet for the rest of the day.
TECH II shows no codes, and the engine is running on the latest software.

Im thinking a leaking or sticking injector. Anyone know if thats an issue on these ?.
She has been using morrisions fuel in it. But as of last week its now on Shell V-Power for a few tanks just to clean it through.

As it has a new DI pack, and the correct NGK plugs, it almost certainly has to be fuel. IMO.

Interested in everyones thoughts.

·
Registered
322 Posts
If the issue is only on cold start and it runs fine once warm, its worth checking the readings from the temp sensors, you have air and coolant temp sensors that can both influence the fuelling during cold start.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I dont think its a sensor. The missing / running rough is for about 15 seconds only during the very first start of the day.
Which to me is a leaking injector which has flooded a Cylinder overnight.

Was searching last night and it seems the injectors are about £55 each for VDO ones. So i guess its time to open my wallet.....

·
Registered
304 Posts
I would not throw money at a "might be" fix for a 15 sec rough start/run. There are a number of possibilities like Ayressy suggested and dismissed it out of hand. Modern day cars run on sensors and so that should be the first port of call. And why do some people accuse the supermarkets fuel as being inferior to other suppliers fuel of the same Octane rating? I would have thought the ministry people who check the fuels of all suppliers would have highlighted any discrepancy in the standards of the fuels used. It is against the law and I have never heard of any of the suppliers being accused have you?

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I was right, its leaking injectors. Flooding the bores over night.
Took the plugs out this morning, and plugs and piston crowns soaking in fuel.

Put back. Started engine for 3mins. Stopped and took plugs out. Everything bone dry.
So.... 4 New Injectors it is then. Wallet injury time !.

·
Registered
304 Posts
Were all 4 leaking and if so I imagine the fuel will have worked its way into the sump? Might be worth emptying the oil and do a sniff check on it I would have thought. What are the injectors like to remove from this engine?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts