Astra Owners Network banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

My first posting here, I have a 51 plate Envoy van, dti 1.7 and she came to me with a number of things that need sorting, but I do enjoy a bit of spanner work

Primary problem is that the car has no power below 3.2k, and I mean nothing, once she is up there she will pull but below something is obviously wrong. I get a bit of black smoke at lower revs on the motorway and if I don't change up then I will get the yellow spanner on the dash (overfuelling - safe mode?).

I suspect that it is a wastegate issue as the turbo will develop pressure at high revs (when the wastegate would be open anyway)

I stripped the undertray off today and had a good poke around. The vacuum pump is healthy, and I can't suck any air out of of any of the sealed pipes, although this doesn't mean to say they may not be blocked...

I have a specific question about the wastegate operation on these cars;

- Is the wastegate held shut on a spring, and vacuum causes the wastegate to open?

- or it is held open on a spring and the vacuum causes it to shut?

I have had a poke around and the mechanism moves one way only, towards the actuator. Is this correct?

also how do I tell if the adjustment on the wastegate spring arm is correctly positioned; for example - if it has been fitted incorrectly the wastegate may be partially open on normal running.

any help or informaion would be greatly received!!

my haynes manual is of little use!

pictures below

http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2005-...1082009224.jpg

http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2005-...1082009228.jpg

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
for those interested the wastegate shuts on vaccum, but mine does not; the wastegate is open all he time as I expected. There is a vaccum pressure on the connecting hose, it's either not enough or the actuator is broken. I will ty and test the vaccum pressure tomorrow, and if it checks out then it's time for a new actuator - take the turbo off.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts