Astra Owners Network banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Everyone!

First post here as I have recently purchased an 07 astra 1.7 CDTi. The EML came on as I was driving the car back from buying it so after reading lots of posts on here about cleaning the EGR etc I thought I'd give it a go and at least clean the pipe between the EGR and the inlet manifold (after I figure out how to upload a photo I will do so and show you how bad it was!!).

My problem is that after doing this and putting it back together the car will not start!! All I have done is remove that one pipe and cleaned it, cleaned what I can of the inlet manifold and clean what I can of the EGR valve area.

Any ideas what I might have buggered?

·
AON - Administrator
59,287 Posts
You definitely didn't disconnect any cables or plugs?

When you say it won't start, specifically what does it do?

Have you tried a pedal test or code reader?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I did disconnect the throttle body plug and the EGR valve and the MAP sensor but they are all plugged in. Aside from that it was just nuts, bolts and hose clips.

The starter motor is turning the engine and it sounds like its almost trying to start but it simply doesn't fire. There's about a 1/4 tank of Diesel in there.

Yup did the pedal test before doing any work and got back ECR 023456 and I'm still getting that now.
I did buy an amazon OBD scanner but haven't opened it yet as I'm not sure if it'll tell me anything new.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'm assuming the throttle is fully open by default as mine was when I had the hoses off.....

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yeah I thought the same after leaving the engine cranking for a minute or so. The battery was showing 12.3 volts so I gave it a fast charge for an hour or so and tried again but no luck.

The he sound has changed a bit though with long cranking. Before it was lumpy and sounded like it almost wanted to start, now it sounds a bit lifeless like the starter motor is spinning and the engine is doing nothing.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'll give that a go on Monday as I have no time this weekend.

Could the glo plugs be dirty and need a clean?

Anyone know about the throttle being open when the car is off?

·
Registered
2,691 Posts
I know my next statement will be criticized , however , when all seems in vane, you need to at least hear her fire up,

Squirt some easy start down the air filter, then crank her over, you could use brak cleaner/carb cleaner etc

My gut feeling says it is that its a fuel related issue, perhaps an air lock in the fuel pipes and may just need a little kick up its backside

B

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Having only had the car a few days I'm not so sure of what a standard start sound should be but I don't think it's a fast turnover.....if anything it's slow and a little lumpy.

Is easy start safe to use with these engines? I do have some carb cleaner but it says it's for petrol engine so didn't use it yet. How could it be a fuel issue? I haven't touched the fuel lines and it was only 1 day between driving the car and doing clearing the intake pipe.....is the fuel line that sensitive?

·
Registered
2,691 Posts
Having only had the car a few days I'm not so sure of what a standard start sound should be but I don't think it's a fast turnover.....if anything it's slow and a little lumpy.

Is easy start safe to use with these engines? I do have some carb cleaner but it says it's for petrol engine so didn't use it yet. How could it be a fuel issue? I haven't touched the fuel lines and it was only 1 day between driving the car and doing clearing the intake pipe.....is the fuel line that sensitive?
Easy start is used by the AA/Rac/ lots of mechanics to start anything, so its safe in small quantities on a diesel , even your carb cleaner , basically the same stuff but cheaper lol,

Give it a go Raoul you have nothing to loose other than gain.

B

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I tried a bump start but still nothing. Now I have a new ECN number 050074. Something about a wheel speed sensor....could this just be due to the attemped bump start?

Brian are you saying the carb cleaner I have will work as an easy start and its definitely safe to use?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I know my next statement will be criticized , however , when all seems in vane, you need to at least hear her fire up,

Squirt some easy start down the air filter, then crank her over, you could use brak cleaner/carb cleaner etc

My gut feeling says it is that its a fuel related issue, perhaps an air lock in the fuel pipes and may just need a little kick up its backside

B
Well your gut is very accurate brian! I did more reading about 1.7s that didn't start and saw a lot about air in the system which lead me to the automatic bleeding procedure. I had to do it 3 times and then cranked the car for a good while but she came back to life.

The EML light is still on however with the same two fault codes: 050074 and 023456. How can I clear these to see if they are still current problems?

Once again thanks everyone for the advice and help!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts