Astra Owners Network banner

1.7 CDTI Surging/Hunting on Idle

49K views 31 replies 14 participants last post by  olsenshane17 
#1 ·
wondering if anyone has/had the same issue.
My 1.7 cdti intermittently surges now & then. not always. the slight fluctuation that is is doesn't really point towards the maf.
Ive changed the SCV, Fuel Filter and ran some good fuel cleaner through it.
no faults are present and never any codes stored.
Still the same. driving me nuts

#7 ·
My 2.0 cdti has done it for the past 18months a couple of times. Did it yesterday. I'd already bought a can of Wynns EGR cleaner as heard good reviews for cleaning the inlet so sprayed the can in yesterday will see if it makes a difference. Throttle seems a bit more responsive since doing it too.

#8 ·
Mine does this and has been doing so for a while now, no codes or anything and seems ok otherwise. Don't want to throw money at it either! Sounds exactly like the youtube vid above, if anyone has a cause would be very useful. I was in the Vx dealer at Xmas and noticed a Zafira doing exactly the same thing, must be a relatively common issue by the looks of it?

Edit: 2010 60 reg 1.7CDTi 110

#9 ·
Mine does the same sometimes. It doesn;t seem to be any problem though so I haven't really worried about it!

MY11.5 2011/11 1.7CDTI 125

#11 ·
Have the same issue, 2010/10 1.7 CDTi 125 at 100k. Considering changing the SCV but now I'm discovering it's not necessarily a fix! Also considering looking at EGR valve

Out of interest, do you have any oil residue around the outside of the charge air cooler outlet pipe? I'm wondering whether I have a split in the pipe which is causing pressure fluctuations or something...

#18 ·
Due to replace mine this week, can buy them for about £40 on eBay. Also a new fuel filter for the gurgle issue. Will report back if theyve made a difference.

I do a 55 mile commute each way, about 40 of which is on a motorway. Trip computer says I do about 54-57 mpg average.

#16 ·
I was told by Vauxhall that its just part of the engine regeneration system, particularly linked to DPF cleaning. I took videos of the surging just like on the youtube video and they were sure it was normal and not to worry. Mine does it all the time. I have 10plate J 1.7cdti 125. What sort of mpg do you guys get? Im mainly city with small amount of motorway and get 33-35mpg... sound familiar to you?

#20 ·
i get 38mpg average, constant stop start driving. used to be 35 but went up a bit after dpf delete & map.
cant see how surging can be normal. my dpf is gone & deleted out of the ecu and still doing it.
but only now & then. reving the car seems to cure it when it starts doing it i have found.

#21 ·
Replaced SCV and fuel filter yesterday. Both very easy to do without jacking the car up. SCV has made idle far smoother and quieter and stopped all surging/hunting. Fuel filter has stopped the gurgling problem. Both sounds were quite severe before but it was an instant and very obvious cure.

Would recommend trying to change SCV if you have the surging problem. All you need is to reach over behind the engine, remove the electrical lead then Allen key off two bolts. For £40 off eBay it's a cheap thing to try!

#23 ·
Denso diesel fuel pump suction control valve 294009-0260. Believe there are two types, depends on your fuel pump. How long has it been since you fixed it? I'm sure it's not a permanent fix, but at £40 and able to change myself, it's not too bad. I've seen another thread where the first replacement didn't solve it but the second did.

#24 ·
Thread bump I know but....

How do you know which SCV to buy....is it best to take the old one out and get a part number off it and order that one?

Just my Dad's 1.7 surges and he said I can look at getting an SCV, but when looking i've seen a few for the 1.7...with different designs and prices...and I want to get the correct part.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.