Astra Owners Network banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
And it's all about driving style. I have just come from a 2.0CDTi Insignia and had got used to huge blobs of torque from relatively small throttle openings. Of course, it was all over from about 3.5k, meaning that the impression of acceleration was a little skewed.

When I got the GTC, I found that the same technique resulted in good,but not great acceleration. I didn't get the shove in the back I expected.

I've now realized that the 1.6T engine is all about revs. I tried nailing it today, throttle to the floor and holding onto the revs right up to 6k. The result is that it picks up really well from low revs but from 3.5k upwards, it just pulls and pulls. You soon realize that you are going very quickly, before you reach for the next gear and surge forward on the momentum gained.

I think one of the things with the GTC is that it is so refined and the chassis is so competent that you don't get lots of drama when you put your foot down. It just gets on with it.

I had this engine in an Insignia a couple of years back and that was very unruly. It would torque steer and spin wheels in first and second gears and felt very quick. On paper, it was slower than the GTC.

I guess that is a compliment to the GTC! It shows GM can get it right when they can be arsed to spend the money...

·
3,903 Posts
Glad to hear you're enjoying your GTC :)

There's definitely a culture change needed when you change from diesel to petrol or vice-versa. Even though we all know diesels are about torque and petrols are about revs, I think there's a period of change required in your subconscious before you really start to use the engine to its best advantage.

·
Premium Member
4,591 Posts
Weirdly I had a similar attitude shift as my last 2 cars have been, well, bangers. I never used to push the revs past 3-4k for fear they'd blow up, so I was initially driving my GTC in a similar fashion (probably good for the first few k anyway just to not thrash the engine out of the factory) but on the way home from Trax I gave it some proper beans, pushing it up to 5-5.5k (redline is 6.5k and I still have a fear of going near there) and WHEEEEEEEEEEEE :thumbs:

·
Registered
1,254 Posts
You'll notice that the turbo starts to run out of puff at about 5500rpm, I had mine dyno'd a few weeks ago, and literally as soon as you hit 5500rpm the turbo just can't give any more power. You are right though, foot to the floor, performance is much better :)

·
Registered
170 Posts
And it's all about driving style. I have just come from a 2.0CDTi Insignia and had got used to huge blobs of torque from relatively small throttle openings. Of course, it was all over from about 3.5k, meaning that the impression of acceleration was a little skewed.

When I got the GTC, I found that the same technique resulted in good,but not great acceleration. I didn't get the shove in the back I expected.

I've now realized that the 1.6T engine is all about revs. I tried nailing it today, throttle to the floor and holding onto the revs right up to 6k. The result is that it picks up really well from low revs but from 3.5k upwards, it just pulls and pulls. You soon realize that you are going very quickly, before you reach for the next gear and surge forward on the momentum gained.

I think one of the things with the GTC is that it is so refined and the chassis is so competent that you don't get lots of drama when you put your foot down. It just gets on with it.

I had this engine in an Insignia a couple of years back and that was very unruly. It would torque steer and spin wheels in first and second gears and felt very quick. On paper, it was slower than the GTC.

I guess that is a compliment to the GTC! It shows GM can get it right when they can be arsed to spend the money...
I experienced the exact same mate .... Was driving it like a diesel lol but as you say nail it and it's a different kettle of fish :). Even now I still only go to about 2500k revs ... Just love the sweet sound of the petrol after years and years of driving diesels ...... Hope your enjoying the car bud :) ...... Bigal

·
Registered
469 Posts
Glad to hear you're enjoying your GTC :)

There's definitely a culture change needed when you change from diesel to petrol or vice-versa. Even though we all know diesels are about torque and petrols are about revs, I think there's a period of change required in your subconscious before you really start to use the engine to its best advantage.
I agree with you music, going from vxr turbo power to diesel has been a big change but i love the 2.0 diesel, once you realise when you are going to get the lovely torquey power it can shift quite nicely and the gtc handles it nicely albeit noisly:lol:

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I spoke to Thorney today and their remap that gives 210BHP and an estimated 38mpg average sounds attractive!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts