Astra Owners Network banner
21 - 28 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
1,982 Posts
Fuel gauges on Vauxhalls just don't react well to small fuel amounts being added,put at least 30 ltrs in

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
il take a guess and you park it up hill and petrols 1.41 a ltr so a tenners not really gonna move the needle much.or your fuel senders on the way out easy to change tho.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 · (Edited)
I'm not putting much in as it's still in 30 day warranty and has an issue (I filled my last car up and the next day it was written off so staying low while I get it sorted). It moves up well when I put £10 in but drops to the warning light in a day of 9 miles there 9 mile back and 1 mile in school runs. My Honda civic 1.8 ivtech could have £10 last that daily routine for 3 days without going to the red light and so does my wife's corsa. The thing is when I'm driving it swoops down and goes onto the red but when I park up it rises again and looks like I've hardly used any. When I set of the next day it's back to low again. What I mean is does this seem normal for an astra? I know it's going to be tough for a fuel gauge to be slushing around £10 worth of fuel but its just my old car didn't do this and niether does the corsa. I'm not supporting Honda or dissing astras I just want to make sure I don't have a fuel usage problem as I'm really paranoid when it comes to purchasing cars, as I like to stay on top of them and keep them well maintained, so while it's in its warranty I want to know if it has any issues such as fuel consumption looked at.
Also I'm parking on a straight drive.

@fitzy Do you work for Haynes? You know too much about astras :p

·
Registered
1,435 Posts
Sounds like you're getting an incorrect reading on the fuel gauge because you're putting only a dribble in. Fill the tank to the brim so the fuel sender can recalibrate itself.

Edit - the short journey you're doing also isn't helping. The fuel range left needs at least 15 to 20 miles driving to give anywhere near a half decent reading.

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
as the big guy said id fill it and aee how it reacts i never fill cars as you use fuel carrying the fuel about but to get to the bottom problem i would and putting in a tenner at a time is roughly 6 ltrs give or take thats not alot in a 40ltr tank i keep a half tank in mine and a bottle of redex every few weeks never have fuel problems .and i only know about astra hs because ive stripped 2 and put them back together again.🙈😄

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
as the big guy said id fill it and aee how it reacts i never fill cars as you use fuel carrying the fuel about but to get to the bottom problem i would and putting in a tenner at a time is roughly 6 ltrs give or take thats not alot in a 40ltr tank i keep a half tank in mine and a bottle of redex every few weeks never have fuel problems .and i only know about astra hs because ive stripped 2 and put them back together again.🙈😄
Thanks Fitz and dave. I put £10 in and reset the trip calc again and it took 50 mile to hit red light again. Tbf that doesn't sound all that bad when you think about it. Its going back to the place tomorrow to get its engine light seen to, so I'm not filling till its back. I bought an OBD reader off amazon for 20 quid and it's worth every penny.

Attachments

21 - 28 of 28 Posts