Astra Owners Network banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys this is my first post. Can I get some advice from you guys please?
My old Honda got written off and I've decided to try an Astra this time. I've come to a near deal with someone but after talking I'm a tad worried. It's a 2010(10) 1.6i 16V SRi 5dr and the guy was honest and said it had broke down 2 months ago, engine light came on and got it fixed to which he said was the crankshaft censor. 2 days later it went again and found out the garage had fitted a 3rd party censor. Once replaced with a genuine part it has been fine but I want to k ow if this could of caused damage or will it cause more? What are the tell-tale signs of a bad censor issue or even an astra issues I should look out for. Basically i want to know if this is going to screw me over somewhere down the road. I dont have much money and I don't want to waste my time or cash. Any pointers would be great even if its just to settle my thoughts.
Cheers guys.

·
Registered
1,990 Posts
No guarantees with buying a used car privately,
an aftermarket sensor may well have been the issue so hopefully it's now sorted,if you got it at a good price that's all you can do.
Looking on the positive side the 1.6's do seem to be reliable on the whole

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
No guarantees with buying a used car privately,
an aftermarket sensor may well have been the issue so hopefully it's now sorted,if you got it at a good price that's all you can do.
Looking on the positive side the 1.6's do seem to be reliable on the whole
I'm paying £2,000 for a 10 plate with FSH, 95k on the clock and looks in good condition off a old lad down the road although he does sell other cars. I'm off to view it soon.

·
Registered
1,990 Posts
I'd tread carefully and ask a few questions about how long he's owned the car etc
it sounds like he could be a trader pretending to be a private seller thus avoiding any warranty obligations and income tax.
There's a good living to be made that way.

·
Registered
1,124 Posts
its an 11 or 12 year old car so dont expect it to be new mines is a 10 plate and ive just about replaced everything on it except the engine and gearbox .your not gonna get an old car that wont need anything so take it for what it is i take an obd reader with me when i go to look at cars

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well I bought it and all seems well running wise. 2 questions for you guys. 1. How does cruise control work, I can't figure it out or its not working. 2. The control dial for the fan speed settings for the heating keeps flicking between 1 and 2 speed on the dash really quickly. If I turn it to 3 its stop flicking but leaves the fan on 3. It won't go to zero but when turn all the way to the left just flicks between 1 and 2 again. Hope that isn't a bit baffling.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
OK so driving home from work the engine light has come on 😆 OBD reading is P0004, IS09141, P0420. Anyone have any ideas what is happening? I really love this car and I'm happy as a pig in squalor but I'm starting to miss my fully functioning honda that was written off.

·
Registered
1,990 Posts
Whoops,problems already,
P0420 would indicate a potentially shot cat,
p0004 doesn't seem to come up as applicable to the car,
iso9141 is the obd system spec
perhaps start by confirming the codes and exactly which engine it is

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
P0004 is saying: fuel volume regulator control circuit high.... on a google search. Could that be intermittent with the cat. When I bought it he said it had just had a new cat put on. Maybe it's been put on and not checked, do cats have sensors? Also are any of these things life threatening to use the car until I get my day off on Wednesday?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
theres an 02 sensor before and aftr the cat no its not life threatning 😆😆
I didn't mean to myself, I meant to the engine 😆
It wasn't necessarily the cat that was the worry but the - fuel volume regulator control circuit high. That's painting a picture to me of allowing more fuel to the engine than it should be.
Also thanks for hanging around to answer my questions. True gent.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I'd love to but I don't have a day off till Wednesday and the place I got it from is sending to a mechanic so won't be me. Its a 20 mille drive to the original owner. Also I have no other mode of transport to work. Will I ruin my engine doing a few mile till then?

·
Registered
1,990 Posts
P0004 is saying: fuel volume regulator control circuit high.... on a google search. Could that be intermittent with the cat. When I bought it he said it had just had a new cat put on. Maybe it's been put on and not checked, do cats have sensors? Also are any of these things life threatening to use the car until I get my day off on Wednesday?
I know the generic code meaning but the reason i asked for confirmation of fault codes and engine type is that P0004 isn't a relevant code in the Astra J for what at the moment i'm guessing is an A16XER engine.
If it really has had a new cat fitted then it can throw a P0420 until the cat is run in (about 100 miles)

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I know the generic code meaning but the reason i asked for confirmation of fault codes and engine type is that P0004 isn't a relevant code in the Astra J for what at the moment i'm guessing is an A16XER engine.
If it really has had a new cat fitted then it can throw a P0420 until the cat is run in (about 100 miles)
Thanks for that info. Can you also help. I'm putting fuel in and when I'm driving it looks low but when parked it looks OK again. How am I supposed to know when I'm low on fuel when it reads OK parked in idle? I don't want to risk running out of fuel doubting my reader. I put £10 in yesterday and reset the trip reader. I was on the first main line, today after 20mile it was in the red and gave off the low fuel alarm. When parked at home its back near the first line again. I've only owned digital fuel reader cars so this is baffling me. I know fuel moves with hills but this is on flats for miles. Thnks again guys. You have been more accommodating than the old Honda forums I was in.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts