Astra Owners Network banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello folks

Looking for your opinion on this one, I currently have a 1.6L Techncal Grey SRI, as much as I love my car I can find it a little sluggish, especially when the car is loaded and i'm trying to overtake and stuff...my local VX showroom has a really nice black SRI 2.0 CDTi VX Line, and the same in the 1.6 petrol model. I've always had petrol cars and wanted to know is the CDTi noisy, used to hate hearing big clucky diesel cars when out on the street and it always put me off but i think the sound proofing in the J is pretty good and it may not be an issue when insde the car...the other thing is will i notice a big difference in the performance?

Cheers

·
Registered
48 Posts
I had a test drive in a 20CDTI SRI you can only hear the clatter at tick over and very slow speed , but even then its not to noisy , when you get going its very quiet ,I love the power of the 20CDTI but because of the miles I do I had to order the 16 vvt .....think this could have been a big mistake , I drove the 16 vvt and found it a bit faster than my 16 Focus zetec

·
Registered
469 Posts
The 2.0 diesel is great on the dual's/motorways and is a real crusier with plenty of power for overtaking. Much better than the 1.6 on this front including the turbo model and it's pretty brisk from a standing start also.
Regarding the noise well from inside the car no need to worry as it's not much greater than a petrol although with windows down and pulling away it does have a fair amount of clutter especially from cold and people will know it's a derv for sure which is why i never have windows down:lol:.

Overall it depends on how many miles you drive but if you do enough you wont go wrong with a 2.0 cdti.

·
3,902 Posts
The 2.0 diesel is great on the dual's/motorways and is a real crusier with plenty of power for overtaking. Much better than the 1.6 on this front including the turbo model and it's pretty brisk from a standing start also.
Regarding the noise well from inside the car no need to worry as it's not much greater than a petrol although with windows down and pulling away it does have a fair amount of clutter especially from cold and people will know it's a derv for sure which is why i never have windows down:lol:.

Overall it depends on how many miles you drive but if you do enough you wont go wrong with a 2.0 cdti.
+1

·
Registered
4,254 Posts
Does the new 2.0Cdti share the problems and gear box woes of a 1.9CDTi? I always thought if I go back to Vx I'd like the 1.9 but I wouldn't risk it.. probably get a 1.6 Turbo and Map it :lol:

·
Registered
221 Posts
I went from a 1.6 to the 2.0 cdti and dont regret it one bit got it boxed and it goes really well like the chilled out driving style of the diesel but can move when you want it to :)

·
Registered
32,567 Posts
Does the new 2.0Cdti share the problems and gear box woes of a 1.9CDTi? I always thought if I go back to Vx I'd like the 1.9 but I wouldn't risk it.. probably get a 1.6 Turbo and Map it :lol:
Obviously, we haven't had them around long enough to find out for certain, but so far, I can't say I've heard of any of these issues... I think I did hear Jamie saying that his 1.4 Turbo had the M32 gearbox though? :shrug:

I don't think the 2.0 CDTi shares much in common with the 1.9 CDTi, but I may be wrong :shrug:

·
Registered
186 Posts
Would you guys clear me out on this? I own a 1.4 turbo GTC MY11 and it's giving me some gearbox issues. Already took it to the dealer and they said the gearbox was fine, but when i try to shift fast, going from 1st to 2nd it makes this metal scratching sound as if i missed a gear, or didn't press the clutch all the way down..

Also happened to not let me shift from 3rd to 4th once on a take over, literally didn't allow the gear shifter into the 4th gear position, and when i pushed it harder it made a scratching sound and went in what i thought to be the 4th gear, i took the foot off the clutch and BAM, way over 7k RPM's. Went into safe mode, and i had a friend remove the safe mode through OBDII. After that it didn't happen again, but every once in a while it makes the sound, and can be quite notchy at times. Do i have a problem?

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
264 Posts
Tough to say Nyox... but fast shifting etc does tend to suggest a pretty aggressive driving style - especially if you're inadvertently finding the rev-limiter too. Does it happen when you're driving smoother..?

·
Registered
186 Posts
Tough to say Nyox... but fast shifting etc does tend to suggest a pretty aggressive driving style - especially if you're inadvertently finding the rev-limiter too. Does it happen when you're driving smoother..?
When the engine's cold, going into 1st or reverse gear can cause the noise to happen. On normal driving it usually doesn't because you shift slower. However, the engine doesn't need to be on really high revs for this to happen.. Should i create a topic about it? I did read somewhere that DarkRain (jamie) had some kind of trouble with his, and it's the same engine as mine, can't find it though. One thing that i don't do is hitting the rev limiter, the engine above 6k rpm's doesnt have that much push/power to be worth passing the 6k limit.

·
Registered
186 Posts
I had trouble getting mine into 1st, 2nd, and sometimes Reverse gear - took it to the dealer and they did something under warranty to the synchro I think and it's been fine since
How does it act now? Can you shift as fast from 1st to 2nd as for example 3rd to 4th? Because when i do a sporty driving, i can never push it in that 1st to 2nd gear change. Sometimes my reverse doesn't go in, just enough for the the parking sensors to activate but if i lift off the clutch it will crank and the gear isn't in. I guess i have to get this fixed? Did it happen all the time Jamie?

·
Registered
186 Posts
Has no issues whatsoever now, although does sound a little clunky from the outside when I change gear which I'm not sure is right. It'd only happen some of the time before the synchro change
Mine has always sounded clunky, you can hear all the shafts and bits inside the gearbox working when u shift, no matter how soft you do it. I better take it to the dealers again. The first time i went there the mechanic went for a round in the block with the car, but he shifted really slowly, like 3 or 5 seconds with the foot in the clutch, and said it was fine .. Idk what to do, in my country it seems the customer support is a few notches below UK. Thanks for the quick answers and the help

1 - 18 of 18 Posts