: Boot Wont Close

Hendry
21-08-2010, 23:51
Went shopping earlier, came back out and went to open my boot to put shopping in all fine, went to close the boot and it was just hitting the point where the latch on the tailgate would normally catch onto the hook on the boot sill plastic and close and not latching/locking into position.

tried this several times and it just wouldnt close, then i pulled the boot opening handle in the chrome boot strip and it made an audible noise and I tried to close the boot and it shut properly.

Thought nothing more of it until I came home and went to get the shopping out the boot, went to close it and same again, it just wouldnt shut, tried several times then pressed the boot opening handle in the chrome boot strip and it closed properly again.

It keeps doing the same thing, only when it didnt close properly the 3rd situation I immediately pressed the boot open handle in the chrome boot strip and tried to shut the boot and it still wouldnt close properly

It seems now like in order to open and close the boot properly I have to open the boot as normal, wait 5 minutes from pressing the boot handle in the chrome boot strip to open the boot before pressing it again with the boot open before trying to close the bootlid or it wont latch on and close properly.

any ideas wtf is wrong with it, its driving me mental lol :@

Viper
21-08-2010, 23:54
Happened to my car once. I took my mum out in it for the first time, but after she put the shopping in the boot she pressed the release catch. It wouldn't shut, so I had to play with unlocking and locking the car. It managed to reset it and not had a single problem since.....

blink
22-08-2010, 01:07
my old astra did this, closed it and it would bounce open again. made me look a right spanner. I asked the dealer to adjust it when it got serviced and it was ok ever since.

JBee
22-08-2010, 01:10
Same as Viper, like I said in other thread really.

Other than that, hit it with a hammer.

Big_Bad_Ian
22-08-2010, 02:43
A work mate had this with her Estate once, she tried all sorts but locking and unlocking it (as said above) seemed to fix it and she hasn't mentioned it again (Y)

Hendry
22-08-2010, 20:11
OK further problem, went to open it this morning, opened fine, went to close it, closed fine, now it wont open again.

Problem is, even although the boot is closed properly the wee icon in the rev counter of a car with its doors and boot open is lit up as if something isnt closed properly, and it beeps when the engine is running like itd normally do if the boot was completely open with the engine running.

Final snag, because on astras the number plate lights come on with the boot open, since mine thinks the boot is open even though its closed it wont turn the number plate lights off, so them being on is going to eventually drain my battery. HELP!!!!!!!!

Kiltox
22-08-2010, 20:13
Disconnect the battery overnight to stop it draining and then give a certain motor dealer hell tomorrow :thumbs:

blink
22-08-2010, 20:14
dont disconnect the battery, just unplug the number plate lights :)

Kiltox
22-08-2010, 20:15
Why bother unplugging the lights when that'd make the car illegal to drive at night?

blink
22-08-2010, 20:17
Why bother unplugging the lights when that'd make the car illegal to drive at night?

unless he needs to, disconnecting the battery might cause the alarm to go off! you also dont need any tools to disconnect the light, apart from a spoon ;)

in fact, i wouldnt bother if its only a day, 10w aint gonna drain the battery :)

Kiltox
22-08-2010, 20:18
Didn't even think of the alarm tbh, forget my car even has one unless it goes off randomly when I open the door in the morning :lol:

Hate car alarms.

JBee
22-08-2010, 20:19
have you tried removing the trim and playing with the catch and lock yet? If it's not closing then closing and not opening, that suggests your catch is sticking.

blink
22-08-2010, 20:21
Didn't even think of the alarm tbh, forget my car even has one unless it goes off randomly when I open the door in the morning :lol:

Hate car alarms.

you have to do something to it to stop it going off, cant remember what though. Not something i do very often :) although he will only have the alarm if its an sri or vxr or someone paid extra for it!

there is some trim inside the boot to remove to access the mechanism but its probably getting a bit dark for that

Hendry
22-08-2010, 20:22
its a Design, so no alarm, 1 of the top spec Astras but no alarm but base spec Life Vectras got a cat 1 alarm, work that 1 out :lol:

the thought I had was is, presumably theres a fuse that controls the lighting, pop that out, and pop it back in tomorrow to drive to the garage, thing is tho, where would the fuse be, engine bay, in the side of the dash, or in the fusebox in the boot?

ps I did the thing where you take the rubber grommet off of the carpeted trim on the inside of the bootlid, use a long flathead screwdriver and turn the back of the mechanism anti clockwise with the screwdriver to pop the boot open from the inside, no joy.

think thats confusing me is, fair enough if the catch is sticking but why the hell if the boot is jammed shut does the bloody car think its open.

JBee
22-08-2010, 20:22
there is some trim inside the boot to remove to access the mechanism but its probably getting a bit dark for that
torch, porch light, street light, boot lights...possibilites are endless :lol:

It'll probably be the fusebox in the bay but no idea what the fuses are on the H :lol:

ANother thought, there is a micro switch that controls the latch, that may have broken or need adjusted.

Kiltox
22-08-2010, 20:24
its a Design, so no alarm, 1 of the top spec Astras but no alarm but base spec Life Vectras got a cat 1 alarm, work that 1 out :lol:

the thought I had was is, presumably theres a fuse that controls the lighting, pop that out, and pop it back in tomorrow to drive to the garage, thing is tho, where would the fuse be, engine bay, in the side of the dash, or in the fusebox in the boot?

Alarms suck anyway.

Hendry
22-08-2010, 20:28
I had the very same problem im having now a couple of weeks ago, i.e. where the boot wouldnt open from the outside and something was making the car think the boot was open so it was leaving the plate lights on, the icon on the dash and beeping when the engine was running.

I simply popped the rubber grommet off, used a long flat screwdriver and turned the mechanism anti clockwise from the inside like it tells you to in the owners manual and hey presto the boot popped open, and worked fine ever since, until last night.

Tried doing the same again, only this time when I turn the mechanism anticlockwise to pop the boot open, nothing happens. :@