: Rear Brake Pads?

corsa_1.8SRi
11-05-2006, 15:15
I've managed to change the front brake pads on my corsa easily, but i'm having difficulty changing the rear pads. The caliper pistons refuse to be pushed back in (the front pistons went back in fine though :s ), i'm using a G clamp to do this at the moment, is there another tool i should be using instead or as well as the G clamp?
Plus i've also had the brake fluid changed recently by vauxhall at the last service, would this of had any effect on the rear caliper pistons?

Its an 02 plate 1.8 Corsa btw.

Cheers

Mav
11-05-2006, 15:18
The rears on the G are a right fruitcake too, speak to Browny_37 he will be able to give you some guidance as he has recently had his off.

cdti_SRi
11-05-2006, 15:22
the caliper on the rears is linked to the handbrake and they need a special tool to wind them back.

Danny Keen
11-05-2006, 15:55
the caliper on the rears is linked to the handbrake and they need a special tool to wind them back.
I had a problem with one of mine and thats what I ended up doing, winding/ turning them till they went back

However I did take one of them off and put in the vise to get it back in :|

I wouldn't say that changing the fluid will give you problems, just think it's a common problem

cdti_SRi
11-05-2006, 17:36
If this is any help :

clicky (http://corsa-c.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=38062&highlight=rear+pads)

Browny_37
11-05-2006, 17:51
your right they need winding back with a special tool....dont try forcing them back in.

I managed to get them back in by hammering it in.....not a good idea.

Just been for the refurbished callipers tonight.....to find there isnt the replacement part for the bottom slider....which i need to put the refurbed bosch callipers on.
Was going to work out cheaper than buying the Lucas callipers and replacement handbrake cable mechanism.
As part i assume is a vibration washer....as its a rubber o-ring with slight cut outs to allow for the lubricant to pass through i assume.

However it looks like im going to have to dish out for the Lucas callipers and handbrake adjustment kit.

Great all i needed 250 for parts at local stealership.

However there will be a how to created to fit lucas callipers.
Maybe a howto for bosch callipers.......dont know yet.....maybe easier to save yourself the hassle im having and go for the lucas updated callipers.

corsa_1.8SRi
11-05-2006, 18:03
Thanks for the help so far everyone. Looks like i'm gonna have to invest in one of these kent moore winding tools then, any ideas where's the cheapest place to get one?

So did you break the original calipers Browny_37 by hammering the pistons back in?

Browny_37
11-05-2006, 18:11
Dont know if ive broken it or not, as far as im concerned it was knaffed before i smacked it in.....lets say rear discs get as warm as if not hotter than the fronts on mine atm.

Dont know if the callipers are the same on the corsa c....im guessing by that time vauxhall should have noticed there was a problem and lucas ones would have been fitted instead at manufacturing stage.

Although i cant be posotive on that comment......as i dont know when the corsa c was brought into production and when the astra g callipers changed to lucas brand, and if the brakes are the same on the corsa c.

In my opinion i wouldnt have thought they would have been as big on the corsa as the astra.....due to the size and weight of a corsa to a astra g.

But at the end of the day the way to find out is comparing rear disc sizes and the calliper brand i suppose.
1.8 Mk4 Astra Sport has 264mm solid rear discs btw.

Danny Keen
12-05-2006, 06:22
Corsa rear discs are 240mm Dia x 10mm Thick

I did manage to do mine without this 'special tool' but then I'm a hero Lol!

corsa_1.8SRi
12-05-2006, 21:39
yeah that’s right the rears are only 240, but the fronts are only 260, the 1.7CDTI corsa has bigger disks! (must be the extra weight of the diesel engine i guess).

Anyway while i'm faffing around sourcing one of these winding tools i thought i may as well get hold of some new rear discs (they look reasonably worn out, so ideally need changing), can i expect any unforeseen problems with fitting these?

cdti_SRi
12-05-2006, 21:59
mate consider joining corsa-c.co.uk you get loads of help on there and they a really great bunch i not trying to put you off of this site just tot there would be more help on there! im a member over there too same user name!! they also highly recommend black diamond disks all round!! ;)

Browny_37
12-05-2006, 23:41
replacing the discs with discs of the same size wouldnt be a problem.
May have to remove the calliper carriers, you maybe able to just unbolt the carriers with the callipers still bolted to the carriers, meaning you have at least 1 screw less to undo.
to be able to remove the discs once you have took the retainer screw out to let you remove the disc.
Putting it back together is the opposite of taking it apart.

I've asked the local car shop today if they had a tool to wind the piston back in.....i was told that they sold the last one yesterday.....and there around 15 in price, dont know if thats dear or not.

corsa_1.8SRi
13-05-2006, 14:07
replacing the discs with discs of the same size wouldnt be a problem.
May have to remove the calliper carriers, you maybe able to just unbolt the carriers with the callipers still bolted to the carriers, meaning you have at least 1 screw less to undo.
to be able to remove the discs once you have took the retainer screw out to let you remove the disc.
Putting it back together is the opposite of taking it apart.

I've asked the local car shop today if they had a tool to wind the piston back in.....i was told that they sold the last one yesterday.....and there around 15 in price, dont know if thats dear or not.

Sounds quite straight forward then replacing the discs.

Sounds like a good price that, is that tool specifically for vauxhalls? as i've seen a Draper one for a similar price but is just for fords and rovers.

The only ones i've seen that say they can be used with vauxhalls are ones that can take different attachments and are quite expensive, see below...

http://www.justoffbase.co.uk/s.nl/sc.9/category.113/it.A/id.26292/.f

Browny_37
13-05-2006, 15:55
tbh m8, ive never really looked into buying the tool.

I wasn't aware you needed one at first, as i mis-read the haynes manual.

corsa_1.8SRi
13-05-2006, 16:09
tbh m8, ive never really looked into buying the tool.

I wasn't aware you needed one at first, as i mis-read the haynes manual.

Well at least you can get a haynes manual for your car, they don't make one that covers the 1.8 corsa :| . So as the 1.8 is the only corsa in the range that has rear discs leaves me a bit stuck when it comes to rear brake work.

Browny_37
13-05-2006, 16:14
would most likely be better off asking someone on corsa-c.co.uk tbh m8.

Im sure theres some other owners on there that have the 1.8 and have had to change rear discs and pads.

corsa_1.8SRi
13-05-2006, 16:18
would most likely be better off asking someone on corsa-c.co.uk tbh m8.

Im sure theres some other owners on there that have the 1.8 and have had to change rear discs and pads.
Yeah, i'll give it a shot. But from what you guys have said on this forum and that thread off corsa-c.co.uk i've got a pretty clear idea now on what i have to do.

Danny Keen
14-05-2006, 04:39
Any help give me a shout, I converted mine from drums to rear discs so you could say I know a little about them ;)

But in all seriousness if you are not too confident then please get someone to do it who knows - not putting your ability down by any means all I'm saying is they are a too important part of the car to get them wrong (Y)