: horn not working....even with lights off??!!

kevinsxi
23-04-2010, 20:45
my horn has completely packed up, going to have a look over the weekend, but it dosnt seem to work with either the headlights on or off, could this still be the CIM loom fault?

I have checked the fuse, but its all fine, have to get the multimeter out tomorrow!

Any ideas of common faults? thanks!

J12 MKW
23-04-2010, 20:48
try the lights dimmer turn it down see if it works then.

kevinsxi
23-04-2010, 20:54
dosnt seem to work at all, i tried dimming the dial brightness, switching the ignition on and off, still wont work! any other ideas peoples?

J12 MKW
23-04-2010, 20:55
sounds like a cim fault then,

Kiltox
23-04-2010, 20:56
sounds like a cim fault then,

Could be the horn itself though - normally with a CIM fault it's intermittant?

Checking it with a multimeter should give you an idea.

J12 MKW
23-04-2010, 20:58
true.

Baz_SRi
23-04-2010, 20:58
Take it back to your local dealers and demand they fix it for free, as Vauxhall have agreed to fix this fault free of charge, providing the fault lies with the wiring loom.

Kiltox
23-04-2010, 21:00
Take it back to your local dealers and demand they fix it for free, as Vauxhall have agreed to fix this fault free of charge, providing the fault lies with the wiring loom.

So if it's the CIM you get slapped with a hefty bill (or at least 60/hour for diagnostics if nothing else)

kevinsxi
23-04-2010, 21:04
shorly they should fix the 'safety issue' regardless of wether its to do with the CIM or wiring loom. typical, expect i will be landed with a big bill

Baz_SRi
23-04-2010, 21:04
Apparently GM have said they are aware of the fault and that it is in the wiring loom, they will repair it free of charge or repay anyone who has had this fault rectified. Unfortunately they haven't said the fault is with the CIM....mine is booked in for next week, will let you all know how it goes.

Kiltox
23-04-2010, 21:05
I'm not certain if that is actually the case, it's just how I interpret what they've said. :).

They're bound to have realised the CIMs are made from chocolate though....

Baz_SRi
23-04-2010, 21:06
Wouldnt be surprised if I get told its the CIM and they only replace the wiring loom:sus:

Kiltox
23-04-2010, 21:07
Wouldnt be surprised if I get told its the CIM and they only replace the wiring loom:sus:

:sus: :(.

Do you have any other problems? Mine made the clicking noise when the steering wheel was turned and that's gone now along with the steering wheel control issue.

I've been told it was the CIM that was done

young-lecky
23-04-2010, 21:15
when my CIM gave up i thought it was when the lights were on the horn stoped but the fela i bought the car of was the 1 fixing it (under warrenty) and he said it was when the stering wheel was turned it didnt work, try having the steering wheels facing front, just to see

kevinsxi
23-04-2010, 21:18
the steering wheel on mine sometimes clicks, and sometimes has the intermittant immobiliser problem (161450) could this all be linked by this loom?

Kiltox
23-04-2010, 21:20
the steering wheel on mine sometimes clicks, and sometimes has the intermittant immobiliser problem (161450) could this all be linked by this loom?

CIM imo.

Baz_SRi
23-04-2010, 21:55
Only other symptoms I've had is the horn turning up the volume on the radio:sus: the volume going through the roof by the slightest touch of the steering controls, but no clicking atm tho.

Kiltox
23-04-2010, 21:56
Only other symptoms I've had is the horn turning up the volume on the radio:sus:

:lol:

ddscot
23-04-2010, 22:35
I never tried that one when mine did it briefly, I had a short spell of only being able to turn my volume down by steering wheel controls though but touch wood hasn't done it again.

shipoopi
08-05-2010, 16:02
Daughter's car having intermittent horn and volume control problems. Didn't appear to be linked to the 2 known problems that GM are prepared to fix FOC (i.e. horn doesn't work with lights on and horn raises radio volume). Spoke to main stealer and he offered to run diagnostics at 60 a pop which would be refunded if problem caused by the 2 known faults - otherwise you pay for diagnostics and any fix.
Didn't fancy paying 60 blind so had a look at steering wheel controls. The units are pressed into rubber plugs and retained from the back with a small torx screw. Popped out left unit and it was held by small wiring connector block. Popped out right unit (i.e. volume control) and it fell out without being held by connector block. On inspection, the small plastic clip on the rhs connector block was not holding - making an intermittent connection for the horn and volume control. Secured it with a small cable tie. Appears to be working OK.

the ghost
08-05-2010, 22:44
Misses 54 plate cim & harness replaced FOC last thursday so the cim is coverd ;)

appileh
09-05-2010, 09:50
Just slap/smack on the steer(not the airbag module) and the horn will work.. No joke my Astra H mk5 has the same sympton.

shipoopi
18-05-2010, 10:40
What happens if a youngster runs/rides out in front of you?:'(

kevinsxi
19-05-2010, 16:59
water in my plug was the reason mine stopped working, the pins had rusted away! all working good now (Y)

$H@K3Y
28-08-2013, 13:01
Hi guys

I know this thread is a bit old and the topic has been covered extensively (i searched (Y))but i have a question, i bought my astra in October 2011 the horn developed symptoms of a suspected CIM issue about 3 months or so ago, as i did not own the car from new i never received word of the recall and only found out there was on from here. I took my car to my local stealers who said that there was a recall on the car but couldn’t tell me if the work had been done, they offered to check for me but said it would require a diagnostic check at the cost of 70 :eek:!!! Now obviously i need to have the problem fixed but i am no way going to pay 70 to fix an issue that the previous owner should have sorted and in my opinion is not my fault.

Any thoughts/advice?

scotty
28-08-2013, 16:29
Hi guys

I know this thread is a bit old and the topic has been covered extensively (i searched (Y))but i have a question, i bought my astra in October 2011 the horn developed symptoms of a suspected CIM issue about 3 months or so ago, as i did not own the car from new i never received word of the recall and only found out there was on from here. I took my car to my local stealers who said that there was a recall on the car but couldn’t tell me if the work had been done, they offered to check for me but said it would require a diagnostic check at the cost of 70 :eek:!!! Now obviously i need to have the problem fixed but i am no way going to pay 70 to fix an issue that the previous owner should have sorted and in my opinion is not my fault.

Any thoughts/advice?

The issue with the CIM isn't the recall thing, that's a preventative measure. They have agreed to replace CIMs on all cars which have the horn failure due to it. You can't get this done just by walking into the dealer, you have to call Vauxhall customer care, tell them you've seen the BBC Watchdog article in which they promise to replace them, they'll give you a case number and you take that to your dealer.

$H@K3Y
28-08-2013, 22:14
Ah I see, thanks scotty. Will replacing the loom solve the issue as I was looking into just doing that tbh?

Stephy
28-08-2013, 22:23
I had the same issue with the horn on my old Astra, the wire loom was changed first but the problem continued. Then heard about issues with the CIM unit itself. I was the second owner of the car but never received a recall about it despite receiving other recalls for it before this. I took it back to Vauxhall and they checked it (they didn't charge me for this) and then told me that it infact it should have been recalled. They fitted a new CIM unit and all worked fine after this :)

broomy
08-09-2013, 01:58
Mine just stopped working yesterday as I was about to toot at a combine driver for pulling over. Mine was recalled but now it's stopped working & I'm out of warranty :( what are my chances of getting a free fix lol?

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App (http://www.autoguide.com/mobile)

nugget
08-09-2013, 12:36
Mine wasn't working consistently since I bought my Astra last January, I contacted my local Evans Halshaw Vauxhall who checked their system and the vehicle didn't have the check done so I booked it in last year, it's going back in a few weeks for a free of charge CIM and wiring loom replacement as it still never worked properly, my car is a 56 plate and they didn't have any problems getting it authorised by Vauxhall to do it for free

CDTI-Nath
08-09-2013, 14:51
Mine is the same lol press the horn and the volume turns up and the horn doesn't beep. Rang vx and its gonna get booked in. CIM was replaced in April 2011 2.5 years since new and now 2.5 years after that it seems to be faulty again

astra_life
08-09-2013, 17:10
I help a member on hear change the steering wheel loom as e was having the same problem as you Evan after a com replace, I recommend trying that...

broomy
08-09-2013, 22:52
Working again now, will ring vx tomorrow & see if they'll do anything for me

broomy
09-09-2013, 08:54
Well spoke with my local vx this morning & the car is booked in next Monday for diagnostics, he told me 99 times out of 100 it will be covered out of good will but they have had a couple of cases with a defective sounder so worst case scenario I will have to pay 64.50 for the diagnostics but I know my sounder isn't defective because it worked yesterday. So far so good.