: Astra H 2005 1.7 CDTI (100) - Engine Light 0500

sicpuppy
23-02-2010, 20:42
I don't know where to start with this.

Ever since I got my Astra around 6 months ago I have had this problem...

The yellow engine light...I've seen loads of threads for it, but none really the same as mine.

Mine gives the 0500 error code when plugged in, can't remember what the description was, but it seems really irrelevant to an engine problem.

Right, the Engine light comes on usually at around 3k revs, comes on everyday on my journey to work when I boot it up a hill at 60mph in 3rd/4th, or, on around 80mph on level surface, 5th gear, another example.

Anyone had anything similar to this? Or any ideas what the problem could be with it coming up with the 0500 error code?

Also have another small problem, my horn doesnt seem to work when my lights are on, turn them off, and it'll work, but when they are on, it just wont work - anyone got any ideas about that one?

Thanks!

ViperX
23-02-2010, 20:46
is the full code 050074? ive had this for as long as i can remember, ive had it cleared a couple of times and it seems to come back, driving has not been affected one bit, causes could be wheel spinning rain/slush going onto the wheel sensor. I believe the code is to do with a speed sensor in one of the wheels

the horn could be down to some faulty wiring. If not it may be the CIM as its affected with the headlights being on/off

L8TON_J
23-02-2010, 20:51
P0500 Vehicle Speed Signal not plausible with Engine Speed and Injection Mass B-031
P0500 Vehicle Speed Signal Range/Performance ABS/TC/ESP (Vehicle Dynamic System) B-011

sicpuppy
23-02-2010, 20:52
is the full code 050074? ive had this for as long as i can remember, ive had it cleared a couple of times and it seems to come back, driving has not been affected one bit, causes could be wheel spinning rain/slush going onto the wheel sensor. I believe the code is to do with a speed sensor in one of the wheels

the horn could be down to some faulty wiring. If not it may be the CIM as its affected with the headlights being on/off

Hello fellow Yorkshire person.

I'm not sure about the full code to be honest, i'll ask my Dad as he plugged it in, he did clear it but it came back like the day later.

Any ideas about how I would go about getting the horn issue sorted?

ViperX
23-02-2010, 20:54
you should do the pedal test. press down the brake and accelerator pedal at the same time and turn on the ignition, but DONT start the car!. Where it shows your mileage a long code like 050074 will show up, note them all down if there is more then one and pop back, if there is a problem with the car most likely a code will show up.

I'd pop to a local dealer tbh, let them know that your having problems with the horn. Most people have had the wiring changed and it has solved the problem

sicpuppy
23-02-2010, 21:01
Cool.

Just did the test - It is the same code, 050074.

ViperX
23-02-2010, 21:03
when the light comes on does it affect the car in anyway i.e. cut power or reduce the power? and when did it start happening? and what car do you have btw?

sicpuppy
23-02-2010, 21:07
when the light comes on does it affect the car in anyway i.e. cut power or reduce the power? and when did it start happening? and what car do you have btw?

Car I have in the title - Astra H, 2005, 1.7 CDTI, 100bhp.

I lose power, yes, pulls the car back a little; It's been a problem ever since I owned the car, it was a known fault.

ViperX
23-02-2010, 21:09
by pulls the car back a little, do you mean you cant accelerate past 2k or 3k? If you dont boot the car does it still occur?

sicpuppy
23-02-2010, 21:15
by pulls the car back a little, do you mean you cant accelerate past 2k or 3k? If you dont boot the car does it still occur?

Basically yeah, My speed barely goes up (Down if its an uphill) with my foot to the floor.

Only happens when I go past 3k :(

ViperX
23-02-2010, 21:18
you could try vauxhall but they charge quite a bit as well

P0500 Vehicle Speed Signal not plausible with Engine Speed and Injection Mass B-031
P0500 Vehicle Speed Signal Range/Performance ABS/TC/ESP (Vehicle Dynamic System) B-011

the code relates to a speed signal, so it must be one of the sensors thats gone, they're in each wheel but im not sure where exactly, a mechanic should defo know,
one last question when the engine light comes on does any of the other lights turn on?

sicpuppy
23-02-2010, 21:22
Nope just EML

ViperX
23-02-2010, 21:23
get it into vauxhall if you can, its your best bet, for both the horn and speed signal problem

sicpuppy
28-02-2010, 19:46
Thanks, anyone had any similar faults or have any ideas before I pay out my ***** at Vauxhall garage?

carl-astrasri
01-03-2010, 05:06
i had the exact same problems as you and it was my cim unit that was replaced! all was solved after it was changed

L8TON_J
01-03-2010, 17:14
i had the exact same problems as you and it was my cim unit that was replaced! all was solved after it was changed

Are you saying that a Vehicle speed signal problem with error P0500 was cured by changing the CIM :confused:

carl-astrasri
01-03-2010, 20:04
sorry, the horn thing i was on about, and the buttons on the left hand side of the steering wheel also didn't work the lights on!

another problem i had before changing the cim was every now and then the car wouldn't start, it would just flash up the spanner symbol!

ViperX
01-03-2010, 21:21
The best bet is to get the wiring changed 1st for the horn, rather than paying out if not needed.

sicpuppy
22-05-2010, 19:34
Still having this problem, horn is fine - still having the EML problem though :-/

L8TON_J
22-05-2010, 19:57
I was having this problem. The speed sensors are located in each wheel hub, so if you have a worn hub then it could throw up this error. I jacked the car up and checked each wheel for any excess movement, wobbling each one top to bottom and left to right. The N/S hub had considerably more movement than any others so i decided to change it. Since changing it i haven't had any errors come up.

sicpuppy
22-05-2010, 20:00
I was having this problem. The speed sensors are located in each wheel hub, so if you have a worn hub then it could throw up this error. I jacked the car up and checked each wheel for any excess movement, wobbling each one top to bottom and left to right. The N/S hub had considerably more movement than any others so i decided to change it. Since changing it i haven't had any errors come up.

Were your 'symptoms' similar to mine? I've just seen so many similar, but none the same, and lots of different solutions

L8TON_J
22-05-2010, 21:18
mine used to come on after a few miles of 70mph+ and more often than not it would appear after going up a steep stretch of motorway just as i got to the top.

Donwoody1981
23-05-2010, 07:19
The horn problem was highlighted by watchdog and is to be fixed by Vauxhall FOC ring GM customer service for reference Its one of two things the steering wheel harness or the CIM as i ve had both changed now. As for the other problem i suggest contacting Adam aka Stampede he s in your area and has the machine to plug into your car and check whats wrong :thumbs:

Garyhurst09
01-09-2011, 19:36
Hi i was wondering if you ever got the p0500 problem sorted and what it was i am getting exactly same problem as you. Light comes on when on motorway or stationary holding the revs above 3k and it goes into limp mode. Cant understand why that would be linked to a speed sensor code. Confused if anyone has any ideas would be most grateful.

Gary.

AMcKay88
01-09-2011, 20:50
Posting the same thing in several threads won't get you a faster answer.

Garyhurst09
02-09-2011, 06:32
Sorri

Fatbloke
02-09-2011, 12:18

The yellow engine light...I've seen loads of threads for it, but none really the same as mine.

Mine gives the 0500 error code when plugged in, can't remember what the description was, but it seems really irrelevant to an engine problem.

Right, the Engine light comes on usually at around 3k revs, comes on everyday on my journey to work when I boot it up a hill at 60mph in 3rd/4th, or, on around 80mph on level surface, 5th gear, another example.

Anyone had anything similar to this? Or any ideas what the problem could be with it coming up with the 0500 error code?

Also have another small problem, my horn doesnt seem to work when my lights are on, turn them off, and it'll work, but when they are on, it just wont work - anyone got any ideas about that one?

Thanks!

Hi

The horn problem was a recall I think - check with your dealer.

Cheers

Dave

VOODOO29
19-10-2011, 07:14
Did you ever find the cause of the EML light comming on when on a hill? I have been having this problem for a while now, have repalced my turbo when it went wrong, had hoped the problems were linked but still happened. Fitted a new boost sensor the other day but still got the problem. :confused:

Thanks!

bazzzar
19-10-2011, 14:00
For the Horn problem, ring Vauxhall on 0800 026 4970 they will tell you its a recall and give you a long reference number. Ring your local Vauxhall service dept and tell them you have called Vauxhall customer support and was given a refence number regarding the horn not working when lights are on. I purchased my car a little over 4 weeks ago and had the horn problem fixed within the first week. Hope this helps. The BBC Watchdog post can be found HERE (http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/watchdog/2010/04/horn_doesnt_warn.html)

Hope this helps.

bazzzar
19-10-2011, 17:37
Ooops, just realised this was an old post ressurected. Sorry. :o

stevieturbo
11-03-2012, 00:52
Old thread, but was there ever a solution to P0500 ?

VOODOO29
12-03-2012, 08:14
Not as yet, mines been playing up for months, waiting for a sunny day to hve a good look or for someone to crash into my car!!!