: Please help. What is the fault code P1109?

888gog
08-12-2009, 14:44
Hi.
My girlfriend was driving the car the other day when it lost power and she limped the remaining 5 miles home at 30mph!b The spanner light stays on too. It looks like the dreaded EGR valve again (Just had a new one fitted less than a year ago by VX). Before I take it to VX again (and risk more damage to the car by driving it there), I've taken it to a trustworthy garage which is much nearer. They've come up with the fault code: P1109.

I've had a look at the list of codes on another thread and this one isnt on it. Any ideas lads and lasses?

By the way, the garage reckon it could mean new manifold etc... The EGR failure has caused more damage along the line maybe? Any advice on what I should do now? GRRRR!

HERC
08-12-2009, 14:47
P1109 is for the swirlflaps buddy :(

888gog
08-12-2009, 15:06
Sh**!

I feared that ... Does it mean the EGR is knackered too? What does this entail? (Break it to me gently!). Replacing inlet manifold?? Or can you actually clean the inlet manifold and swirl flaps?
If the inlet manifold does need replacing, does the ECU need to be reset and does that affect the 888 map at all?? Questions Questions?! Anyone?

Matt D888
08-12-2009, 19:05
about 900 quids worth of parts buddy:( get on to vaux customer services and play up!!! you may get a discount

888gog
08-12-2009, 19:21
about 900 quids worth of parts buddy:( get on to vaux customer services and play up!!! you may get a discount

Noooo!Would it be better to get an indie garage to do it and source the parts myself?

HERC
08-12-2009, 19:22
Noooo!Would it be better to get an indie garage to do it and source the parts myself?

To be honest "YES"

Scrooge
09-12-2009, 15:30
when the inlet manifold is replaced because of P1109 you must also replace the swirl actuator @150+ as this is a "learning device" and can not be reused on a new inlet manifold, also it is highly recommended you replace the egr valve too!

888gog
09-12-2009, 23:47
when the inlet manifold is replaced because of P1109 you must also replace the swirl actuator @150+ as this is a "learning device" and can not be reused on a new inlet manifold, also it is highly recommended you replace the egr valve too!
yeh, I've found out the same as you say. Not too good is it! I'm thinking of maybe getting an extended warranty as the VX one expired five months ago.Vx wont look on the case kindly I suppose-even though they only just put a new EGR valve in it about seven months ago.Worth hassling them?anyone know of good warranty companies?

Scrooge
09-12-2009, 23:55
if it would of broken just as the warranty expired VX sometimes put upto 50% towards the repair but 7 months may be a bit too much, and the fact its an 888 they might just so "go away" :lol:

888gog
10-12-2009, 10:59
if it would of broken just as the warranty expired VX sometimes put upto 50% towards the repair but 7 months may be a bit too much, and the fact its an 888 they might just so "go away" :lol:

Go away? lol. What if I go for the angle that they put in a new EGR recently without checking whether the failed one had actually started to cause the clogging of the inlet manifold swirl flaps. I asked them at the time if this may be the case. The engine managment light and spanner light would stay on for a few seconds when starting the engine too. They just said that the ECU is self learning and the lights would stop showing after a while. They kept on showing until this recent failure though!

So, would it be correct that a dodgy EGR has caused this latest failure, hence VX.s fault?? Or would they just say "You drive like an old lady so its your fault it clogged up. Go AWAY!"?

imprezarb5
12-12-2009, 00:50
its got to be worth a call to Vauxhall Customer Service mate. good luck.

888gog
12-12-2009, 11:56
its got to be worth a call to Vauxhall Customer Service mate. good luck.
Yeah, I suppose you're right.In fact the indie garage who've got my car phoned them yesterday to see if VX accept some blame as the mileage is so low for this type of failure to happen (32k ish). He was told by VX that they dont accept that a dodgy EGR would neccesarily cause the swirl flaps to fail, but that there may be some hope of a goodwill payment. So we shall see!

markg888
13-12-2009, 09:03
Good luck with that mate, when mine went Vauxhall wanted nothing to do with a goodwill gesture. Mine ended up costing 1100 at vauxhall, new inlet manifold, egr, oil change. They wouldn't do anything as it has non standard parts on it haha. They didn't even know who Thurlby's were or what an 888 was.
Thurbly's didn't want anything to do with it either, so much for customer service eh.

Dawasdave
13-12-2009, 09:37
32k :o

is that all she has done... I would bloody hope they will help you out a bit on the terms that the mileage is so low.. At the end of the day I know it's only a 3 year warranty but it's also a 60k one....

I'm so glad my egr is mapped out when I read things like this..

888gog
13-12-2009, 11:47
Good luck with that mate, when mine went Vauxhall wanted nothing to do with a goodwill gesture. Mine ended up costing 1100 at vauxhall, new inlet manifold, egr, oil change. They wouldn't do anything as it has non standard parts on it haha. They didn't even know who Thurlby's were or what an 888 was.
Thurbly's didn't want anything to do with it either, so much for customer service eh.

That's really bad Mark. At least my Vauxhall dealers know of Thurlby and 888, and they know the car well as I've spent quite some time at the dealers chatting away about it. Another factor in my favour may be that it's only just had its latest full service at the dealer a month ago.It also had a new air filter and of course the oil change.(not to mention a new EGR valve about 5k miles back!!)
Dancer- good point about it being a 60k warranty-I'll keep that in mind too. By the way- How long have you been running your car with the EGR mapped out?Any problems arise with doing this? What do you do at MOT time? I'm interested...

Dawasdave
13-12-2009, 12:01
That's really bad Mark. At least my Vauxhall dealers know of Thurlby and 888, and they know the car well as I've spent quite some time at the dealers chatting away about it. Another factor in my favour may be that it's only just had its latest full service at the dealer a month ago.It also had a new air filter and of course the oil change.(not to mention a new EGR valve about 5k miles back!!)
Dancer- good point about it being a 60k warranty-I'll keep that in mind too. By the way- How long have you been running your car with the EGR mapped out?Any problems arise with doing this? What do you do at MOT time? I'm interested...

Been about a year now so a good 10k.... No problems what so ever... Car is an 08 so no need for an MOT as yet but i do know a few on here running the same software as me with the EGR mapped out that have passed MOT's with no issue's..... Its a win win situation.... If vaux were to be honest, they like the fact its mapped out as it gets rid of warranty claims on EGR and Swirl Flaps..... (Y)

markg888
13-12-2009, 14:14
888gog My problem was that in Hull it's Evans Halshaw dealership and the knew nothing about Thurlby's or 888. Up until then my car had been serviced every 6 months at Thurlby's in Louth. I first rung them to see if anything could be done and the basically told me to **** off, so didn't really see the point of spending extra money getting my car transported over there.
My only grip was it being 8 weeks out of warranty which was bloody annoying as I said the ducked out of helping me out as it has a Simota fitted and other non standard parts fitted.
My own fault really as I should of put the standard airbox back on but I wasn't thinking really as I just wanted car fixing asap as I need it for work.
Hope it ends up working out ok for you mate

888gog
13-12-2009, 19:08
Been about a year now so a good 10k.... No problems what so ever... Car is an 08 so no need for an MOT as yet but i do know a few on here running the same software as me with the EGR mapped out that have passed MOT's with no issue's..... Its a win win situation.... If vaux were to be honest, they like the fact its mapped out as it gets rid of warranty claims on EGR and Swirl Flaps..... (Y)

Yeh-saves Vx from forking out-now that would be too fair on us customers wouldnt it! I just thought though... Wont it wipe off the 888 map?

Mark- I think I remember reading your threads about this now. There I was feeling sorry for you and hoping it wouldnt happen to me...

And like me, your car was serviced regularily and looked after, so what causes this failure?
Thanks for the support and comments anyway - watch this space.

markg888
14-12-2009, 18:04
Not sure what causes it mate but when I was chatting to one of the garage mechanics he said it's a common problem and are replacing them often.
The suit on the front desk said otherwise though saying that it's a rare problem, he even said that there isn't aware of a problem with the egr valves either.

Hopefully you will have better luck than me with it.

888gog
14-12-2009, 21:26
Not sure what causes it mate but when I was chatting to one of the garage mechanics he said it's a common problem and are replacing them often.
The suit on the front desk said otherwise though saying that it's a rare problem, he even said that there isn't aware of a problem with the egr valves either.

Hopefully you will have better luck than me with it.

Mark, I'd say that the suit is either trying to pull the wool over your eyes or he just isn't in the know. The guys at my local Vauxhall tell me a failing EGR valve is common on the Astra H and the Vectras. (not to mention other GM owned Fiat, BMW and Saab cars using the same system.)

Well - My mechanic mate has had a word with Vauxhall about the problem and has said that Vauxhall won't budge. They won't offer any goodwill payment of any kind despite the fact that the mileage is low and they've only just serviced it and replaced the EGR valve about 8 months ago etc etc...

So I'm leaving it with a local mechanic who I trust totally. He's very conciensious and will source the stuff himself and do the job for me. At least, if there's any problem I can take it back to him no worries. I don't feel any loyalty to Vauxhall at the moment.

Does anyone know of any good places to source an inlet manifold, actuator and EGR valve?!

imprezarb5
14-12-2009, 21:39
would the egr valve previously replaced not be covered by a 12 month warranty? doubt they would cover the consequential damage but at least it may save you around 100. again, worth asking the question.

Scrooge
14-12-2009, 21:47
would the egr valve previously replaced not be covered by a 12 month warranty? doubt they would cover the consequential damage but at least it may save you around 100. again, worth asking the question.

if it has been replace under the 3 year warranty it would of expired along with the 3 year warranty, the part will ny have a 12 month warranty on it if he bought it himself, also the egr valve is not fully at fault for blocking the inlet manifold up as the breather system helps in that area, if the rod's have popped off the flaps thats ware and tare sadly

markg888
14-12-2009, 22:45
888gog , Sorry to hear that Vauxhall isn't helping you out in anyway. I'm the same as you my car wont see another vauxhall garage aslong as I have it. I took it there to get the service book stamped etc stupidly thinking that would count for something if anything went **** up.
It's alot cheaper getting it serviced elsewhere aswell which is a nice bonus. The egr valve is a very common problem but they just tell you anything thinking you haven't done your research on forums like this.

Hope its all back up and running soon mate.

Have you tried ebay for the parts when mine went there was inlet manifolds, egr's etc on there.

888gog
15-12-2009, 17:40

Good point - but as Scrooge/Converted Chris says - Vauxhall have said that the EGR may not be fully to blame. Also, I've given it to an Independent garage to sort now. Vauxhaull would probably want to check out the EGR themselves before even considering replacing it for me - and that means transporting the car to their place = Hassle and costs and possible reply like - "Can't help you mate. Happy Christmas"...

Also - The indie garage has promised to check it out and clean it if need be before buying a replacement. Thanks for the suggestion though.(Y)

if it has been replace under the 3 year warranty it would of expired along with the 3 year warranty, the part will ny have a 12 month warranty on it if he bought it himself, also the egr valve is not fully at fault for blocking the inlet manifold up as the breather system helps in that area, if the rod's have popped off the flaps thats ware and tare sadly

Thanks for the info. It was replaced under the 3 year warranty.. :@
But what you say confirms that what VX told me was true. One flap has popped up and oily crap has been forced out of the inlet manifold and can be seen around two of the Swirl Flap openings. Wear and tear at this mileage though? That's really good engineering by Alfa Romeo innit? Alfa build the engines according to the mechanic... Things breaking sounds like an Alfa trait:lol:. What else should the mechanic check/clean out in the breather system then? (it's just had a brand new air filter put in by Vauxhall about 6 weeks ago! Does it make a difference?) The garage have just phoned to tell me the parts will be in by Friday. He said they'll clean the whole breather system out before replacing the new parts. I know he will do that too as he is a perfectionist. I noticed that the performance wasnt as good as it used to be and neither was the fuel consumption. But I thought that maybe it was me getting used to the power etc. Can't wait for the "new" performance now!

888gog , Sorry to hear that Vauxhall isn't helping you out in anyway. I'm the same as you my car wont see another vauxhall garage aslong as I have it. I took it there to get the service book stamped etc stupidly thinking that would count for something if anything went **** up.
It's alot cheaper getting it serviced elsewhere aswell which is a nice bonus. The egr valve is a very common problem but they just tell you anything thinking you haven't done your research on forums like this.

Hope its all back up and running soon mate.

Have you tried ebay for the parts when mine went there was inlet manifolds, egr's etc on there.

Nice one mate.(Y) This forum is priceless! I'm trawling Ebay etc ... :roll:

Scrooge
15-12-2009, 19:31
if the rods on the swirl flaps where made from metal with brass bushes/bearings on the pivot points this would last a lot longer than the original abs plastic flaps and rod bushes

other than cleaning all the breather pipes and making sure there blockage free there isn't much you can do in that area other than making your own breather system ( group A style with better catch tank's )

888gog
16-12-2009, 01:41
if the rods on the swirl flaps where made from metal with brass bushes/bearings on the pivot points this would last a lot longer than the original abs plastic flaps and rod bushes

other than cleaning all the breather pipes and making sure there blockage free there isn't much you can do in that area other than making your own breather system ( group A style with better catch tank's )

Yeh Chris, I'm no mechanic, but from what i'm hearing here, this is crap piece of kit. The inlet manifold from hell!
What's a group A style system? Costly?

888gog
18-01-2010, 21:48
Just a quick update on the problem ...

It's all fixed! New Actuator and Inlet Manifold and cleaned out breather system. Also replaced the cambelt kit and found a broken cog on the wheel, so the timing was out as well as a clogged manifold.

I can't believe the difference in performance and the fuel consumption is better too. It's better now than it has ever been since I bought it a year ago, it makes me want drive it all day and night! Yahoo!

It needs to go back in a week to retighten the bolts.

It cost 600 though.

Matt D888
19-01-2010, 19:47
good value, im sure your garage will get more trade given that fantastic price!

888gog
21-01-2010, 00:18
Yeh - he's a good bloke. He did me a bit of a favour as we give him a lot of work (me, girlfriend and family!) At least I'm safe in the knowledge that he's done as good a job as possible too. He also explains to me what work he does and advises me etc. Glad I didn't take it to a dealer really. They may be competent mechanics at Vauxhall, but I doubt wether they'd care as much about their work as this guy does. They'd charge a lot more too of course. Naturally, the independant garages want to keep our custom too, so will do their best. I'd reccommend this indie garage to anyone here. :thumbs: