: Help! Door wont open!

costsaving
29-11-2009, 13:33
my rear passenger door is stuck shut but all the other doors open ok.

i can't open it from the inside either as the child lock is on but i can hear the motor in the door working so i think its the handle mechanism thats broken inside the door.

anyone know how to fix this or get the door panel off with the door still closed? :(

thanks.

Rob H
29-11-2009, 14:21
No idea - only thing i can suggest is to look at the other rear door and see if there are any screws holding the rear doorcard on that won't be accessable with the door shut. If there aren't any you could start stripping the door down to see if you can get to the child lock mechanism.

Not much help but worth a look to start you off :).

jiraffe
29-11-2009, 19:13
Might be a cable thats come off :sus:

Stickman
29-11-2009, 19:22
Think the only way in is to bust something :(

I think all the screws are round the bottom of the trim so they'll be covered when the door is shut.

HERC
29-11-2009, 19:39
To be honest I dont thonk there is anyway of removing the door card without the door being open,

However, you will / should be able to remove the door handle puller, behind the chrome handle on the inside of the car, there will be a small peice of plastic, pop this out with a screwdriver and the undo the torx bolt holding the cover in place,
This will give you enough room to get a couple of fingers in to tug on the cable.

Hope it helps

costsaving
29-11-2009, 22:08
i got the panel off with the door still closed, it was pretty straight forward.

1 screw behind the chrome handle, 2 behind the door handle and 1 at the bottom of the door, then remove the window winder - i then just pulled it off and uncliped the release mechanism from behind the chrome handle.

anyway all the latches were in place and the exterior and interior door handles were working properly but the door would not still open!

the only way to open the door is to use the lock button on the dash to lock all the doors from the inside then open the door from the inside by pulling the chrome handle, it will not open from the outside.

if the alarm is put on again all the door lock and the only way to open the door is like i've said above unless you don't lock the doors again with the alarm then it will open from the outside.

while i was at it i also noticed that the other rear door is not locking with the central locking, i've had to manually lock the door using the emergency button near the lock itself.

i can hear all the locking motors working, all very strange - any ideas?

S1mon
10-12-2009, 20:29
I have EXACTLY the same problem with the rear driver's side door on my Astra 1.6 SXi. It's been a constant problem for the last couple of months.

Can't figure it out. Best idea I have managed to come up with is a faulty connection within the multi-pin wiring connector between the door and door frame.

Appreciate any info you may have, if you managed to fix your problem.

Scrooge
10-12-2009, 20:33
it might be either, broken/ worn wire that go into the door at the bottom or a bad connection, check to see if the fuse has blown for the cdl in the rec

costsaving
11-12-2009, 06:55
it might be either, broken/ worn wire that go into the door at the bottom or a bad connection, check to see if the fuse has blown for the cdl in the rec

where would this be?

Scrooge
11-12-2009, 12:18
bottom corner of the doors near the B post

S1mon
11-12-2009, 14:58
Just a quick re-cap before I start to dismantle my rear driver's side door.

The problem: Once locked, the ONLY way I have to open my rear driver's side door is to sit in car, lock all doors with dash button, then open rear D/S door with its inside door handle. The door then works normally (ie with both inside and outside handles) until the next time I use the Central Locking

All other doors lock / deadlock / unlock operate in the normal way at all times with the remote keys.

The Proposed Solution : Open the door and look for a faulty fuse inside the bottom corner of the door ?

costsaving
12-12-2009, 14:24
The Proposed Solution : Open the door and look for a faulty fuse inside the bottom corner of the door ?

i think thats where the wiring into the door runs, you won't find a fuse there.

the fuse is in the boot, number 32 i think.

S1mon
12-12-2009, 17:56
Thanks for that.

OK -- Fuse in the REC sounds better, especially if there is one fuse for each door ?

Is Fuse 32 specific to the driver's side rear door ?

I tried to find a picture / layout for the REC -- the diagram in my Owner's Manual shows no circuits allocated to Fuse locations 30, 31, 32 & 33.

So I will make a physical check.

Did you fix your passenger side rear door problem ? Was it the fuse ?

costsaving
12-12-2009, 22:26
Did you fix your passenger side rear door problem ? Was it the fuse ?

not yet.

costsaving
03-02-2010, 22:57
update...

i checked the fuses and the central locking ones were ok but fuse 30 was blown, i've replaced it but i have no idea what its for as its not listed in the manual.

anyone know what fuse 30 is for?

replacing the fuse made no difference though as the back doors still don't work properly. :'(

robpegs
04-02-2010, 12:31
Ok first change the fuse. remove connection on car battery.wait 5 seconds then connect battery back up. click unlock on fob,and at the same time pull inside handle on the broken door. this must be done at the same time. try a few times to get the timming right. once door is open .fix the wire that has broke between B pillar and door , inside the black rubber boot. good luck... once this is all done. you may need to do the battery again after the fixed wire. strange vauxhall thing, some times even if a bulb goes and you replace it ,the battery need disconecting.
Rob

robpegs
04-02-2010, 12:42
Forgot to add, the 30Amp fuse is for the towbar electrics. or for future towbar electrics..

costsaving
04-02-2010, 19:29
Ok first change the fuse. remove connection on car battery.wait 5 seconds then connect battery back up. click unlock on fob,and at the same time pull inside handle on the broken door. this must be done at the same time. try a few times to get the timming right. once door is open .fix the wire that has broke between B pillar and door , inside the black rubber boot. good luck... once this is all done. you may need to do the battery again after the fixed wire. strange vauxhall thing, some times even if a bulb goes and you replace it ,the battery need disconecting.
Rob

i've already replaced the fuse and i'll try the battery thing.

this is whats happens...

one of the back doors opens but only when the central locking button on the dash is pushed which allows it to open using the inside handle only although it locks with the central locking like normal.

the other door unlocks but doesnt lock with the central locking at all, i'll check the wiring running to the doors.

i don't have a tow bar so i don't know why the fuse is even there!

thanks for the advise so far.

robpegs
04-02-2010, 19:54
sorry thought you could not open the door at all, but bet the problem is still the wires, the 30 amp fuse is there for when you want to add tow bar electrics... but try the battery first.

derekadk
15-06-2013, 03:22
update...

i checked the fuses and the central locking ones were ok but fuse 30 was blown, i've replaced it but i have no idea what its for as its not listed in the manual.

anyone know what fuse 30 is for?

replacing the fuse made no difference though as the back doors still don't work properly. :'(

Hi costsaving, I know this is an old post, but I'm having the exact same problem with my Astra. The only way to open the door is to lock everything with central locking, and then manually use the interior door handle. Once the door is open, then both interior and exterior handles work fine. I can also hear the central locking motor working on both lock and unlock.

Did you eventually work out what the problem was? And if so, please can you let me know! I've already replaced the actual door lock mechanism, but that hasn't resolved the problem.

I hope you can help.
Thanks,

steveycdti
15-06-2013, 05:50
hi im suffering the same problem atm. according to my local vauxhall garage who diagnosed it for me. its the wiring loom for the door. where it runs through the connector one of the wires has just worn out and snapped. the only way to fix it properly apparently is a whole new door loom.

LozC
15-06-2013, 13:26
try the scrap yard for a door loom??

ViperX
15-06-2013, 15:34
No thats not the only option. Exact same thing happened to me. If you open the door and look at the bottom theres a rubber casing, cut into that and you should see your wires. One of mine had snapped so either join it back together or slightly extend it with same thickness wire and rejoin it to the other side.

Bobbie_jo
27-03-2014, 20:54
Hi all, thanks for the info on the door fault. Wires where bare & one wire completely broken.
Thanks
Rob

astraoz
25-07-2014, 03:12
Hi My rear passenger door wouldn't open from inside or out. A post on this forum saved me so much money. I got into the back seat and locked the door with the fob ( i don't have an alarm) then wham the door opened when I used the handle and still does.
I very rarely carry more than two passengers but didn't want to compromise safety of the passengers by not getting it fixed. I really appreciate the information this forum gave me. You guys rock! thank you

Hkphooey
21-08-2014, 10:54
Hi guy's
I have just developed this problem, can anyone show any pictures of what wires please it is I should be checking?

Mixmanaclaus
21-08-2014, 10:58
The ones in the thick black sheathing going from the B pillar into the bottom of the rear door.

Hkphooey
22-08-2014, 21:13
The ones in the thick black sheathing going from the B pillar into the bottom of the rear door.

Cheers mixman...A while back on the same door my interior light stopped working on the very same door!!! so sounds like it has got worse...

Hkphooey
23-08-2014, 12:08
Would my light not coming on have anything to do with this please???

Mixmanaclaus
23-08-2014, 13:16
The light is operated by a sensor. The light not working won't directly be the cause but it may be a sign of cable wear / corrosion

Hkphooey
28-08-2014, 16:06
The light is operated by a sensor. The light not working won't directly be the cause but it may be a sign of cable wear / corrosion

Cheers I will get the wiring checked out