: smoking

jlpsmith
07-07-2009, 20:12
Hello all,

I have a 2008 1.9 CDTI SRI XP with 6000 miles on the clock. When i start her up in the morning, or after any lengthy time she smokes. I've also noticed that sometimes when i put my foot down she smokes.

Any ideas? Is it the EGR valve? I did put a tank of standard diesel in. Usually i put the good stuff in but this shouldn't cause any problems.

She had her first service by vauxhall just before i bought her at 3000 miles. I had an oil and filter change at 5500 miles.

She drives fine, its just annoying. Any help appreciated.

Cheers,
Jason

Alcpone
07-07-2009, 20:18
Sounds like the egr, whip it off and have alook and see if its bunged up wi soot

HERC
07-07-2009, 20:27
Unfortunatly thats the nature of the beast,

Deisel engines will smoke matey, there is no way of getting away from it.

The question you should be asking is "How much smoke is acceptable?"

THIS IS ACCEPTABLE....
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zo987X-Au48

Anything worse than that is not

jlpsmith
10-07-2009, 19:16
Sorry ! A car that is less than a year old, with only 6k on the clock that smokes at all is NOT acceptable.

I'll be phoning my local vx dealer in the morning.

STshortie
10-07-2009, 19:20
have you replaced your air filter???? if not do as this get blocked up and causes smoke

Scrooge
10-07-2009, 19:21
Mate you need to have a good look about! The CDTI smokes if you want a diesel that dont smoke dont drive it

Garyscdti
10-07-2009, 19:22
Oh dear never had a dirty Derv before then. :nah:

Dawasdave
10-07-2009, 19:23
As Chris said bud..... /\/\

I have had mine from new and she will give a little puff when you 1st start her and also when you put your foot down....

STshortie
10-07-2009, 19:39
smoke is normal dude :)

its what make it so fun covering the car you just blew at the lights in black smoke lol

spikelee
10-07-2009, 19:44
when i got mine from new the dealer gave it a little rev whilst i was at the back of the car to show me the black beauty lol :)

Jimbo Slice
10-07-2009, 20:18
Sorry ! A car that is less than a year old, with only 6k on the clock that smokes at all is NOT acceptable.

I'll be phoning my local vx dealer in the morning.

Trade it in and get a petrol Astra then, you musn't of done your homework prior to purchase.

As said above, Diesels are smokey - they all are.

graeme g
11-07-2009, 20:41
oil burners = smoke.

the harder you boot it the more it smokes.

moan the diesel.

jlpsmith
31-07-2009, 21:50
Just though I'd update you on the smoking sri

The car was fine until i had it serviced at my local VX dealer. I took it to the dealer today who confirmed that the " technician" who serviced the car put too much oil in!!!! I checked the oil last week before a long run and found it was over filled which is why i phoned and moaned. Luckily, i didn't take the advice of other diesel owners who believe it is acceptable for a car with only 7k on the clock to smoke.
Car was drained and re-filled correctly. Paper work provided from VX confirming the above.
It's a shame as i have used this dealer for many years with no problems.

Anyway, my car is no longer smoking. So, for others....... follow your instincts, not advice of people who believe that all dervs are dirty.
Jason

Spam the Lamb
31-07-2009, 21:52
All dervs are dirty

Nature of the beast. I was behind a brand new Mercedes CDI this morning and fluck me did that thing smoke trying to get away from me ;)

Spam the Lamb
31-07-2009, 21:53
Oh and I also doubt it isnt smoking at all.

jlpsmith
31-07-2009, 21:57
You, or your girlfriend baaaaarbara in the passenger seat.

Seriously. 20 years ago, maybe even 10 diesels were smoking pigs. Oil and filter change every 5 thousand miles and you should have no issues.

i've got a corsa with 137,000 miles on. Oil chaned every 5K and no problems.

Maybe i was just lucky?

Spam the Lamb
31-07-2009, 22:00
Brand new out of the factory it would have smoked and I bet it still does.

Best way to see it is in the morning with your foot down and the sun behind you.

I love it! Wouldnt have any less

My girlfriend isnt baaaarbara either funnily enough. Keep the personal insults to a minimum please

jlpsmith
31-07-2009, 22:01
naaaaaaaah, she's not smoking at all taff.

Spam the Lamb
31-07-2009, 22:03
Ok then pal.

Dawasdave
01-08-2009, 01:37
Guys keep it clean.. No need to start a slagging match..;)

Andy SRi
01-08-2009, 02:10
Glad u got it sorted! Thought it might have been the egr though. Mine was black smoke until i got the egr changed, it still smokes now but its gray :lol:

jlpsmith
01-08-2009, 16:41
Hello all,
Day 2 in the SRI house.

Started her up today and thank god, no smoke.

Chuffed to bits. I know dieseld are dirty and everyone will occasionally get some smoke but i was starting to get a bit fed up.

Anyway, all well that ends well.

Dawasdave
01-08-2009, 17:57
Glad its all sorted and your happy bud.... :thumbs:

Scrooge
01-08-2009, 20:02
Hello all,

I have a 2008 1.9 CDTI SRI XP with 6000 miles on the clock. When i start her up in the morning, or after any lengthy time she smokes. I've also noticed that sometimes when i put my foot down she smokes.

Any ideas? Is it the EGR valve? I did put a tank of standard diesel in. Usually i put the good stuff in but this shouldn't cause any problems.

She had her first service by vauxhall just before i bought her at 3000 miles. I had an oil and filter change at 5500 miles.

She drives fine, its just annoying. Any help appreciated.

Cheers,
Jason

Just though I'd update you on the smoking sri

The car was fine until i had it serviced at my local VX dealer. I took it to the dealer today who confirmed that the " technician" who serviced the car put too much oil in!!!! I checked the oil last week before a long run and found it was over filled which is why i phoned and moaned. Luckily, i didn't take the advice of other diesel owners who believe it is acceptable for a car with only 7k on the clock to smoke.
Car was drained and re-filled correctly. Paper work provided from VX confirming the above.
It's a shame as i have used this dealer for many years with no problems.

Anyway, my car is no longer smoking. So, for others....... follow your instincts, not advice of people who believe that all dervs are dirty.
Jason

Hello all,
Day 2 in the SRI house.

Started her up today and thank god, no smoke.

Chuffed to bits. I know dieseld are dirty and everyone will occasionally get some smoke but i was starting to get a bit fed up.

Anyway, all well that ends well.

With less than half the story...................:roll:

Dawasdave
01-08-2009, 20:10
Do tell Chris.... :sus:

Scrooge
01-08-2009, 20:20
Do tell Chris.... :sus:

starts moaning his car is smoking and asks for advice and does not give the full story and has a moan :roll:

jlpsmith
01-08-2009, 21:52
told the story as it was.

oil and filter change at 5500.

i checked the oil this week before a long run to make sure it was correct level. only then did i find it was high.

i then contacted vx who took it in the same day and rectified.

i asked for advice because at the time i never knew the oil level was high.

i only went to vx to maintain the warrantly. have serviced my corsa myself for the last 8 years.

wont be using the dealer again.

the only gripe ive got is peoples acceptance that nearly new cars should smoke. they shouldn't. Even the vx dealer agreed.

jason

jason