: Roadside speed camera van and photo evidence question…

Bigscreen
06-06-2008, 19:59
Ok, I got done by a mobile camera van recently. It was on a road I know like the back of my hand and I swear I never saw the b*stards.

I have asked for photographic evidence, which came back today. (Very nice pic) :lol:

Now, what confuses me is that the photo shows the back of my van, but I always thought the mobile camera vans that open up the tailgate laser traffic coming towards them, not what has passed?

If that is the case why have they sent me a picture of the back of my van and not the front :confused:

So has anyone else had photographic evidence that shows the back of their car /van and do you know if those camera vans laser you from behind or coming towards them.

ZS
06-06-2008, 21:21
They work both directions. That's why there's usually two cameras, one for each side of the road.

Gadget
06-06-2008, 21:42
back and front mate i`m afraid

greekpete84
07-06-2008, 06:33
Hmmm... but if its a rear photograph, can you remember who was driving?!

mj32
07-06-2008, 07:44
Hmm, sneaky b*st*rds those things! I was sure I was caught by one as I was pulling out of one junction quickly to zoom down to the next, never even saw it :look:

2 Weeks passed and nothing yet - maybe I was just on / around 30 in 2nd gear

Bigscreen
07-06-2008, 20:45
2 Weeks passed and nothing yet - maybe I was just on / around 30 in 2nd gear You should have the letter within 14 days :D

Hmmm... but if its a rear photograph, can you remember who was driving?! It was me, no one else has driven my new toy :(

Thank's guys, but do you actually know how they work?. I'm talking about the roadside vans here, not the motorway bridge ones.

Been doing some serious searching on the web today but no luck.

Seems they have sent me a frame from the video, but how the hell do they video you front to back?

And how or where do they aim the laser.

I'm not disputing the offence, just really interested as to how these damn things work. :confused:

Any camera ops or traffic police here with inside info??? (You're not ba*tards really) :lol:

DeanoSxi
07-06-2008, 21:10
Hmmm... but if its a rear photograph, can you remember who was driving?!

It was me, no one else has driven my new toy

Think hes being sarcastic mate. You can say you dont know who was driving it :P. Thats if they still take that ****** now

stickymichael
07-06-2008, 21:38
You should have the letter within 14 days :D

Not necesseraly.

The safety camera operators only have to notify the REGISTERED KEEPER within 14 days. If you are the registered keeper and you haven't heard anything for two weeks, then you are probably in the clear.

If however you are not the registered keeper (if you lease the car or it's a company car for instance) then there is no time limit provided that the registered keeper has been contacted within 14 days. The RK then has to forward your details on to the camera operators, who then inform you.

Thank's guys, but do you actually know how they work?. I'm talking about the roadside vans here, not the motorway bridge ones.

Been doing some serious searching on the web today but no luck.

Seems they have sent me a frame from the video, but how the hell do they video you front to back?

And how or where do they aim the laser.

I'm not disputing the offence, just really interested as to how these damn things work. :confused:

Any camera ops or traffic police here with inside info??? (You're not ba*tards really) :lol:

Not a copper with insider info, but have come across these aspart of some work I've done for a motorcycling website.

They've been developed primarily to stop motorcyclists avoiding detection from front-facing cameras. The copper activates the laser as you approah his rear and, as you pass, a second camera (and sometimes even a third or fourth) is activated if you are seen to be travelling over the prescribed speed limit.

This explains a bit:
http://www.motorcyclenews.com/MCN/News/newsresults/mcn/2007/May/may21-27/may2307twonewspeedcamerathreastforbikes/?&R=EPI-91446

xxxxxxxxErisaman
08-06-2008, 10:07
They've been developed primarily to stop motorcyclists avoiding detection from front-facing cameras. The copper activates the laser as you approah his rear and, as you pass, a second camera (and sometimes even a third or fourth) is activated if you are seen to be travelling over the prescribed speed limit.

I had oft wondered how they managed with motorcyclists as they only have the rear mounted no plate - then spotted what appeared to be just a small domestic-type video camera mounted on the dash of one speed van and guessed that that was what it was for. Doesn't answer OP's question but we can see that the speed cameras aren't resting on any past laurels, they are being developed all the time!

TOneil
08-06-2008, 12:19
A couple of years back I had to visit the Hampshire "SCP" to view a tape of a couple of our company vehicles which were caught on the A27 near Fareham.

The camera van evidence was recorded and shown with a very clear frame by frame identification which they use to take the pictures from.

From looking at the tape the camera operator was viewing the traffic coming towards him in the 2nd lane of the dual carriageway which had a target sight logging the speed of each vehicle coming towards it then suddenly the camera is moved sideways and locks onto the back of two of our company cars in secession which were going a bit to quick. There was a 3rd car coming into shot but this was obstructed by a slow lorry traveling towards the camera van and no speed recorded.

I have heard that the police do not allow people to view these takes anymore due to Data Protection???

xxxxxxxxErisaman
08-06-2008, 15:01
Change, change, all is changing!

I remember going to view a tape on one occasion and, although I knew it couldn't have been me driving, I still felt a little anxious. Needn't have worried, the driver was totally un-identifiable due to poor reproduction and whilst the number plate was 'mine', the car was not - a problem arising from writing articles and publishing photos of the car. I now 'blur' the plate for script publication.

Sithspit
08-06-2008, 18:42
I just want Abyss to make a box that launches a small radar guided missle to take the tw@ts out!! give the driver a fighting chance :lol:

Bigscreen
08-06-2008, 20:10
Not necesseraly.

The safety camera operators only have to notify the REGISTERED KEEPER within 14 days. If you are the registered keeper and you haven't heard anything for two weeks, then you are probably in the clear.

Sorry, you are correct. (mj32, I hope you are the registered keeper)

Thanks for the link and comments guys. Perhaps I might just stop next to a camera van one day, knock on the window, and ask for a guided tour :lol:

TOneil
08-06-2008, 20:21
Or just park in front and stand in the way. It could be seen as obstructing the police in their duty however quite a few are civilian operated so therefore you are not obstructing the police :sus:

greekpete84
09-06-2008, 02:09
Or just park in front and stand in the way. It could be seen as obstructing the police in their duty however quite a few are civilian operated so therefore you are not obstructing the police :sus:

But you would be perverting the course of justice?