: Strange engine noise? Have a listen and give opinion!

SRiFL06
23-04-2008, 18:23
Vauxhall Astra SRi 1.8 5dr

I have uploaded a sound recording of my engine revving up and back down again. There seems to be some high pitch whiring noise.

The sound quality of this is pretty good so what you think may be distortion is actually the sound of the engine. There is a lot of background noise I could not help as this was recorded on a busy road (in neutral).

This alternative maybe better as it streams and is audio only;
http://boomp3.com/listen/eqp5tlj/mov-new

This is the .avi version which will probably take ages to download;
http://www.wikiupload.com/download_page.php?id=29703

If you go for the audio only, the rev counter goes up to ~35x the first rev and ~30 the second rev.

SRiFL06
23-04-2008, 18:40
Is there anywhere I can upload the 2mb .avi file onto these forums? I just tested out the link and its taking too long to download.

(solution to uploading found please delete if possible)

SRiFL06
23-04-2008, 19:00
Here is an audio only version that I have uploaded to a different (better) website;

http://boomp3.com/listen/eqp5tlj/mov-new

(sorry I didn't mean to make this as a new post please delete if you are looking and can)

scdavis
23-04-2008, 19:27
have you got a sound system in the car?

from the badish quality it sounds just like over-run but cant really hear it too well

SRiFL06
23-04-2008, 19:34
Only the standard sound system. I recorded this on my phone. The sound that I am talking about when I listen to the engine is very audible on the sound file.

I am not sure what over run is... could you explain?

scdavis
23-04-2008, 19:43
na sorry really cant hear it on that link u put up. mite just be my speakers tho.

over-run is just basically when the engine is on the down rev cycle back into idle.

do u suffer from electric shocks? (as it could be a bad earth on the alternator causing the whining)?

how many miles have u done, last service?

SRiFL06
23-04-2008, 19:48
18,800 miles from new, serviced 50 miles ago.

I get no electric shocks. I will see if I can get a better audio clip this weekend, I will drive it somewhere silent.

p.s. I only bought it last week.

ZS
23-04-2008, 19:53
Can't hear a thing, and that's with decent headphones.

Tried turning your stereo up so you can't hear the engine? :D

SRiFL06
23-04-2008, 19:55
Can't hear a thing, and that's with decent headphones.

Tried turning your stereo up so you can't hear the engine? :D

Haha yeah,,, I tried that. When you say you can't hear anything, do you mean that it sounds normal to you? This is the first week that I have driven an Ecotech engine therefore it could just be normal. The part of the rev cycle I am concerned with is revving down back into idle. Thats when the noise is most noticable to me.

As stated before I will try to get a better sound clip this weekend.

SRiFL06
24-04-2008, 12:12
I'm taking my car back to the dealership today after work to see what they think. I won't be content unless they agree with me that there seems to be an issue, or let me fire up another astra 1.8 and I hear the same thing.

I will post the result later.

N B
24-04-2008, 19:25
is it the none vvt engine,as i had this with my older 1.8 sri when reved to 2,000-3,000 rpm it chattered loud enough to hear it across the dealership car park!:'(

N B
24-04-2008, 19:37
had a listen sounds like belt noise from what i can hear.nawt to worry about :thumbs:

Robbieben
24-04-2008, 19:52
Sounds like a alternator belt tensoiner bearing starting to go from what I can tell:)

easyrider
25-04-2008, 11:23
Does it whir only when you ride or even when it stands still with the engine on? If it is so loud that you can record it on your phone, you should be able to locate it if you lift the hood.

Pulse
25-04-2008, 12:25
Can't hear an issue here, sorry.

JJ-YORKS
25-04-2008, 20:16
the 1.8 has a weak water pump and are know to fail....the noise is the same as what was on my wifes 1.8 corsa c which we sold with 16k on the clock and providing you use quality oil it shouldnt be a problem, I know it doesnt sound good at high revs but you should be ok

SRiFL06
26-04-2008, 09:24
Does it whir only when you ride or even when it stands still with the engine on? If it is so loud that you can record it on your phone, you should be able to locate it if you lift the hood.

It sounds like the alternator belt to me, I am not an expert though.

SRiFL06
26-04-2008, 09:26

It makes this noise either in nuetral or riding. It is far more noticable in nuetral.