: Light on Dash + Beeping

5ean
27-07-2007, 09:17
Not sure exactly how to explain this, but when driving in the rain last night on my way home, a red light comes up on the dash (in the rev counter bit) and there's a beep. Its only on for must be a milisecond or two because its only on long enough to see there was a red light, you dont get enough time to see the symbol.. I've had this before and thought nothing of it but its happening more frequent now, any one else had this or know what it is??

Cheers

S

MikeyNI
27-07-2007, 10:49
Is it a low oil or water level warning? That's the only thing i can think off apart from the seatbelt warning tone but it would be on all the time if someone wasnt wearing their seabelt, you didnt have anything sitting on the passenger seat?

rmason2005
27-07-2007, 11:45
You didnt happen to have anything heavy on the passenger seat which set of the no seat belt light as the passenger side seat belt was not on (if your car has these sensors that is as some dont).

Richard

5ean
27-07-2007, 23:19
My mate was in the seat with is seat belt on.. Its not the same kinda beeping as the seatbelt one, its pi$$ing off never the less!! Ill have a look at my oil and coolant/water levels tomorrow see if they need topped up.

Cheers

S :cool:

Cookie
27-07-2007, 23:54
Dont think theres any other audible warnings apart from the seat belt warning if you have it and the leaving lights on/keys in when leaving car etc

flier
28-07-2007, 00:39
Its the handbrake warning light. (Try lifting the handbrake up while moving to replicate the noise). A few Astras have this problem, including my own, but havent got round to contacting VX about it lately to see if there is a fix. Just tell them the handbrake warning light is coming on for a split second, they should know what you mean, in theory anyway!

C120CKA
28-07-2007, 07:33
Also try your brake fluid levels mate i had the same thing happen to me on a different car

paulc
28-07-2007, 08:09
I had same problem. Added a bit of brake fluid due to brake wear ,and has never done it since

slamber
28-07-2007, 09:07
A few other suggestions noting that 5ean said the problem occured whilst driving in the rain. Not sure if these are red lights, however, traction control light whilst driving through large puddle or battery light due to alternator belt slipping when driving through puddle. No idea on the beeping!

jthedriva
28-07-2007, 16:55
or dodgy handbrake sensor?

mark-d-
28-07-2007, 19:14
mines does it now and again and its the oil light m8 had it checked but vauxhall couldnt find anything. must be a dodgy oil sensor.

5ean
28-07-2007, 19:16
Yeah i think it is the oil sensor, yet to check the oil, its due an oil change now anyways so will wait till pay day then get some new blood for it!

Cheers for the suggestions people :)

S

ammlione
30-07-2007, 09:51
Hi there,
my first post here, but my H cdti flashes the red door light and sounds an alarm if the hatch is not closed properly.
Might want to look at that too.
Cheers

ReV0h
01-08-2007, 11:41
I have exactly the same problem m8......it is definately the handbrake......if you pull the handbrake slightly whilst moving the same light and beeping occurs. I need to see vxl about it too!
:roll:

5ean
01-08-2007, 13:01
Its not the same light as the handbrake, its the one at the very bottom, i happen to be looking at the dash when it happened and seen the light - so to speak haha. Will check my oil level tonight.

garyp
03-08-2007, 09:43
i dont think the oil light coming on makes a noise. the handbrake does definatley.

ReV0h
03-08-2007, 13:08
i already checked my oil level and it's right in between the high and low points.

It's really annoying to be driving and for no apparent reason a light flashes in your face and your car beeps at you :(

i just want it to stop!

MikeyNI
03-08-2007, 14:19
Can you get a pic of what the symbol looks like that lights up?

apr_racing
03-08-2007, 16:04
theres a seat belt tone?

aUriginal
10-08-2007, 15:00
Any progress for this?

I am getting it very often. Been to the workshop couple of times for this. It seems they have no clue what is the problem. My last visit, I was told that it is a software bug.

Wonder how long it will take to solve this beeping

N B
11-08-2007, 20:06
hi, mine does it,it is defo the handbrake warning light and bleep mineonly does it for a fraction of a second.but it has not done it for months must of fixed its self?

mark-d-
11-08-2007, 21:46
its deffo the oil light on mine and it makes a slight beep when it flashes. but the oil level has been checked and vauxhall couldnt find anything wrong.it happens now and again but it dont bother me.

CMP
13-08-2007, 07:46
Mine did the same once every few months. Just ignore it!

gemsie22
22-08-2007, 20:57
Mine does it too, just a more deep tone beep than the seatbelt one. Like its been said, only for a millisecond in bottom left of rev counter. Very annoying

drewster
24-08-2007, 08:08
I've also had this rather annoying beep and red flashing light in the corner of my eye thing. Happened at very random intervals, some days it would happen 3/4 times or it would be days/weeks with nothing.

When it first started doing it I thought it might be the handbrake because you can replicate the noise and flasing red light by quickly flicking the handbrake up. I can partly discount this not only because the light;s too low down but because I drove around with a book on the hand brake for a while and the light still flashed and beeped.

When I contacted my local VXL bods they said they'd take it for a drive but when I explained that I can drive for days without any beeps they said "oh". I took it in and because the only lights it could be were the oil or brake lights they checked both the oil and brake fliuds and I think stuck a little bit in the brake fluid one.

Now I guess your wondering whether this fixed it? Well.........

It didn't at first because it happened a couple of times in the preceding week or so. Then it just stopped. Hasn't happened for a couple of months I guess and I'm really none the wiser as to the cause?
My guess is that it's either an iffy sensor, the brake fluid was just a touch low or it's some pesky elves playing with the hand brake cable:D

benfinlayson
24-08-2007, 09:20
I have this every now and again on mine. I think that it is the brake fluid warning light and comes on due to low brake fluid as the pads wear. I think mine flicks on when the brake fluid in the reservoir swills to one side due to movement of the car but as you say it is only for a nano second so I cant be sure! I have not got round to topping up yet as it is not too low but will do soon and see what happens. I am sure someone posted this as the issue a while ago.

Ben

5ean
24-08-2007, 09:53
Its not because it swishing, i get when driving at a steady 30mph.. It is strange, as long as my car still stops im not that worried to be honest..

EasyA
10-09-2007, 19:30
I get the same light on the dash. I took the car into VXL today to find the fault and to find another fault I have with the fan. Here's a pic of the dash and where the light is.
http://www.fileden.com/files/2007/7/2/1233039/dash.jpg
The faults went unfound by the VXL SUPERCOMPUTER but I did suggest a real life person looked at the car to find the fault but was presented with a bill for 42 foe half an hours labour. :'(

Any ideas?

smcqis
11-09-2007, 07:09
its oil happen me nothin to wori about

EasyA
11-09-2007, 12:45
1,000,000,000,000% NOT the oil or handbrake light

simon
11-09-2007, 13:59
Bizarre. Why doesn't it light up with the others and why no mention of it in the handbook?

Handbook does mention a speed warning buzzer, but I don't know it's set.

EasyA
11-09-2007, 16:07
VXL dealer was very coy when I mentioned the light. It's P'ing me off so much I'm thinking of setting a video camera up to catch the thing.