: P0220 Fix?

WarmPeas
11-04-2013, 13:49
Hey everyone,

First post on these forums after reading up as much as i can find about this damn error code! I bought the car two weeks ago from Bournemouth which was around an hour an a half drive from me. The drive back was completely fine as was the car all of the first week. The car didn't have a great deal of service history so I put it in for a new cambelt, waterpump and full service. All sorted and car was running great until last Friday, while driving along the car lost power from the throttle and i thought it had misfired but it soon picked back up again and went on fine. The check engine light came on so when I got back i did the accelerator/break test and got the code (P0220). Last night a mate from work put an Opcom reader on my car and read the faults:

P0220
Limp home mode (can't remember the code for this one)

After he cleared the faults the check engine light went out and was fine to drive home. Today the throttle has been playing up again. I'm getting a bit confused as to what this error could be, and after doing some research some people have pointed at faulty ecu/flashing the ecu to the latest firmware. Or cleaning/replacing the throttle body and egr valve. I am planning on buying some carb cleaner on the way home from work tonight and taking off the TB then giving it all a good clean following this guide:

http://www.astraownersnetwork.co.uk/showthread.php?18531-Astra-G-How-to-Clean-The-Idle-Control-Valve-And-Throttle-Body-Guide

Just wondered if anyone else has had this same fault and knows the best way to fix it?

Car details:

Astra 1.8 Bertone 2002 XE18

Anyone able to help me out?

Cheers!

LukeCoupeT
11-04-2013, 14:29
P0220 Throttle/Petal Position Sensor/Switch B Circuit Malfunction: which suggest to me something is wrong with the pedal, but then as you have said ive seen this code relating to dud ECU, You can try cleaning the TB to see if that helps as its a very cheap "fix" even if there is not anything to fix it wont do no harm at all being clean
you wont have an EGR valve as yours is the Z18XE engine so no need to worry about that horrid thing

thats guide for cleaning the TB will work but its for a throttle cable TB not a fly by wire TB like you have, so no need to go digging looking for the throttle cable etc, just take the TB out of the car and clean it on the floor stops all the crap from going inside the inlet mani

WarmPeas
22-04-2013, 11:25
So i cleaned the Throttle body and it did slightly improve the issue but then the day after cleaning the problem came back. I bought a replacement throttle body and installed it. Drove lovely for the first day but then it started happening again. I spoke to vauxhall and got a tech test run on the car to see what error codes were coming up. They advised 99.9% of the time replacing the throttle body will fix the issue but the 0.01% its going to require a new ECU. Looks like i'm going to have to shell out for one of those! Only had the car three weeks!

Mixman
22-04-2013, 11:29
That's very unlucky! Was it a 'used' replacement or new?

WarmPeas
22-04-2013, 12:33
Used replacement, can't afford a new throttle body sadly. Two of my friends have the same car so i might try borrowing their throttle body and see if it makes any difference. The car drives so well when its working its such a pain everything is going wrong!

LukeCoupeT
22-04-2013, 14:04
Used replacement, can't afford a new throttle body sadly. Two of my friends have the same car so i might try borrowing their throttle body and see if it makes any difference. The car drives so well when its working its such a pain everything is going wrong!

if your mates have exactly the same car take the ecu immob ring and transponder and swap them for yours see if it cures the problem, be for splashing all that cash on a new unit

WarmPeas
22-04-2013, 15:04
if your mates have exactly the same car take the ecu immob ring and transponder and swap them for yours see if it cures the problem, be for splashing all that cash on a new unit

Sounds like a plan! Is there any way this could damage the other car? Also do you know of any guides for locating/removing the ecu. Engine is a 1.8xe

Cheers

LukeCoupeT
22-04-2013, 15:23
if both engine are Z18XE lumps then it will be fine, just disconnect battery nagative terminal and start work, not sure where it is on the Z18Xe lump but my 1.6 lump it was bolted to the side of the lump and my z20let is bolted to the side of the battery tray so its gotta be around there some where, once the ecu is out then you need to remove the immob ring from around the ignition barrel and then the tranponder from the key to your key and then fit it all to your car and it should fire up first time without any need to reprogram anything,

if the ECU is at fault this should tell you if the same errors or driving problems persist then its not the ECU fault, just make sure to remove any codes stored from your car be for refitting back into the doner motor as this could cause problem,, best bet is to check both cars with a plugin of any codes stored (if any) and jot them down be for working on either to compare to see if the doner ecu fixes your problem, but basically you wanna re-fit the doner car ecu back in as it was when remvoing so if no codes it should be re-fitted with no codes

i personally done a ECU transplant on a AOC members car straight swap with my Z16xe ecu to his z16xe lump without any programming and still gogins trong to this day, i just made sure the ECU was fault free be for fitting!

WarmPeas
22-04-2013, 15:46
if both engine are Z18XE lumps then it will be fine, just disconnect battery nagative terminal and start work, not sure where it is on the Z18Xe lump but my 1.6 lump it was bolted to the side of the lump and my z20let is bolted to the side of the battery tray so its gotta be around there some where, once the ecu is out then you need to remove the immob ring from around the ignition barrel and then the tranponder from the key to your key and then fit it all to your car and it should fire up first time without any need to reprogram anything,

if the ECU is at fault this should tell you if the same errors or driving problems persist then its not the ECU fault, just make sure to remove any codes stored from your car be for refitting back into the doner motor as this could cause problem,, best bet is to check both cars with a plugin of any codes stored (if any) and jot them down be for working on either to compare to see if the doner ecu fixes your problem, but basically you wanna re-fit the doner car ecu back in as it was when remvoing so if no codes it should be re-fitted with no codes

i personally done a ECU transplant on a AOC members car straight swap with my Z16xe ecu to his z16xe lump without any programming and still gogins trong to this day, i just made sure the ECU was fault free be for fitting!

Nice one, cheers for this mate. Will have to sort out an opcom and try and convince my mate to loan me his ECU! ;)

LukeCoupeT
22-04-2013, 15:50
Nice one, cheers for this mate. Will have to sort out an opcom and try and convince my mate to loan me his ECU! ;)

no worries fella probs learn a few thigns to while removing it, have fun with the plug clips! :D

WarmPeas
23-04-2013, 16:44
Does anyone know where you can get a TPS (throttle position sensor) for my car from? I can't find anything online that will fit my car/engine. The engine is a 1.8xe. The sensor at the pedal end is fine and im wondering if the TPS is inside the throttle body itself?

tyza
24-04-2013, 05:57
its part of the throttlebody on ur engine and cant be replaced on its own. would need to be another throttlebody.
but if uve already changed it ide say ecu or wiringm have u got anymore codes than the one for the tb cuz a duff ecu would usually giv u more than jus 1 code. ide definatly recommend lukes idea of usin a mates ecu, transponder chip and immob. could answer all ur problems so u know where u stand
sent from my Galaxy S2

robdebob81
24-04-2013, 07:54
I can get you a tps sensor from work they bolt onto the throttle body on the x18xe1, I have the same engine i also had problems when I bought it got 90% of them sorted now

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

LukeCoupeT
24-04-2013, 11:05
I can get you a tps sensor from work they bolt onto the throttle body on the x18xe1, I have the same engine i also had problems when I bought it got 90% of them sorted now

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

his is the z18 fella im sure the x18 and z18 have different throttle pedals

WarmPeas
29-04-2013, 09:30
Happy days! Took the day off work on Friday with Fluff and we fitted the new ECU. Car is now running lovely pulling well and the MPG has improved. Haven't had one miss or judder even when giving it some beans. Cheers for all the help guys :)

tyza
29-04-2013, 09:39
happy days. nice one :-)

sent from my Galaxy S2

LukeCoupeT
29-04-2013, 09:57
no worries fella, bet your happy now

fluff1987
29-04-2013, 11:14
Glad its all sorted now!

WarmPeas
29-04-2013, 11:23
Cheers Lads, yeah car drives lovely! Just need a new bonnet now!

tyza
29-04-2013, 11:34
why whats wrong with urs?

sent from my Galaxy S2

WarmPeas
29-04-2013, 13:27
It's a bit scratched :P

fluff1987
29-04-2013, 14:22
Yeah just abit!

Silly Jack! lol

LukeCoupeT