: mk4 1.7 dti clutch replacement

Damian DTi
08-06-2012, 21:01
Evening all,

I own a 2001 (Y reg) mk4 Astra van with the Y17DT that is in need of a new clutch. Over the past 5 years of her life, she has had to do a lot of towing.... and as a result, the clutch has now biten the dust.....
On Wednesday, I fired her up to do move her out of my unit, and the clutch pedal felt really light, and the biting point was really high, the clutch has been slipping slightly under load for a while now, so I was aware that a replacement was on the horizon, but was hoping to get away with it for a little while longer... but that's gone out the window now :'( I have checked the fluid level, and thats fine. Gave the van a 10 minute gentle drive, doing plenty of stop starting. The clutch pedal got progressively lighter the more stop starting I did, until finally there was a bit of a clunk and I lost all drive. The clutch pedal has also dropped by approximately half and inch. With the engine running, I can select all gears with or without the clutch pedal depressed, but if I leave her running whilst in gear, I get the smell of the clutch burning.

Now, I'm quite handy with the spanners (and the swear words), and there's not many jobs I'd shy away from doing.... but I have never done a clutch on a mk4 Astra. Can anyone offer any advice on how to go about replacing the clutch assembly? And any special tools required?

Many thanks in advance to anyone who can offer any advice :salute: :thumbs: