: DTUK Box on Astra GTC 2.0 CDTi

Terry1718
18-03-2012, 23:55
Hi,

I'm slowly putting the miles on a new Astra 2.0 GTC SRI CDTi and am torn between a DTUK box or a remap for improved performance / economy. I had a DTUK red box on my last CDTi Astra SRI 150 Sportshatch and it performed really well for the 3 years I had the car. I sold the old box on eBay as it won't fit the new Astra and was just going to buy a new one however.... I've read on various forums that the ECU will remember that a tuning box has been fitted and will invalidate the warranty, even if you remove it before going for service. Is this true? I can't find a definitive answer. An ECU remap would not invalidate the warranty but it won't be available for another 6 weeks or so and will cost much more. Any thoughts?

DanEds
19-03-2012, 00:02
Im having the same dilema at the moment mate!

Probably like you, my GTC in nearing the 1k miles and im trying to decide what to do for the best.

Had a CRD2 box on my old 150cdti for 3 years and 48k miles and loved it, however I have the following worries-

1. Warranty, as like you ive heard that they can check the ECU for tuning boxes now too.
2. Gearbox - The M32 that is on the Astra H is made of chocolate, and is running a max torque output figure of 320NM, the tuning box put it miles over this!

Ive looked everywhere to find out what gearbox is on the GTC 165 but cant find anything anywhere!!!!

Dan

Matt_GSi
19-03-2012, 00:10
Its a tough decision. Ive not had an experience with a box but dont like the idea of them so would opt for a remap. However if it went in for a service and they updated the ECU you'd loose the map but with a box you can take it off before it goes in. If they can find out about a box being fitted im sure they can tell if its been mapped aswel?

DanEds
19-03-2012, 00:15
Its a tough decision. Ive not had an experience with a box but dont like the idea of them so would opt for a remap. However if it went in for a service and they updated the ECU you'd loose the map but with a box you can take it off before it goes in. If they can find out about a box being fitted im sure they can tell if its been mapped aswel?

Might be wrong on this as I dont know much about the 888s, but werent they running on a box devised by Thurbly motors. Im only saying this as im sure I saw somewhere that they sold the upgrade and it came in a form of a tuning box??????????

Terry1718
19-03-2012, 00:46
A Thorney remap maintains the warranty, apparently it will be available in about 6 weeks and may increase the BHP to the region of 200 BHP, less than a box. I'd like to think that they would remap the ECU for free if the dealer updated the software during a service although that might be wishful thinking! I don't know much about remaps, but is it just plugging in a laptop through some sort of interface and updating the software like updating the bios in a PC?

DanEds
19-03-2012, 00:58
A Thorney remap maintains the warranty, apparently it will be available in about 6 weeks and may increase the BHP to the region of 200 BHP, less than a box. I'd like to think that they would remap the ECU for free if the dealer updated the software during a service although that might be wishful thinking! I don't know much about remaps, but is it just plugging in a laptop through some sort of interface and updating the software like updating the bios in a PC?

You have three choices with TMS mate.

1. Go there and get it done.
2. Go to a approved dealer to get it done.
3. Pay the extra and order a Blufin system with your map to load up yourself through your computer and TMS server.

Matt_GSi
19-03-2012, 13:20
The 888s have an EDS map on them not a box ;-) As said wait for thorney as it won't affect your warrenty

Nimraynn
19-03-2012, 13:24
Might be wrong on this as I dont know much about the 888s, but werent they running on a box devised by Thurbly motors. Im only saying this as im sure I saw somewhere that they sold the upgrade and it came in a form of a tuning box??????????

No. DTUK sold boxes to Thurlby to sell for a while... but the 888 was remapped, not boxed.

DanEds
19-03-2012, 13:57
No. DTUK sold boxes to Thurlby to sell for a while... but the 888 was remapped, not boxed.

Thats where I got confused.....I knew Thurlby sold the boxes after market but wasnt sure on the original 888.

gptom
23-03-2012, 23:08
I prefer the bluefin option myself as if the map ever gets wiped you can just reinstall in minutes and i like the diagnostic stuff that comes with the bluefin unit.

ABYSS
23-03-2012, 23:27
Is bluefin able to remap the 2.0gtc yet?

Terry1718
24-03-2012, 13:07
I emailed Superchips yesterday re bluefin for the GTC 2.0 CDTi so I'll hopefully get a response next week. I assume they're still working on it as I think they supply bluefin with remaps to Thorney. One question I asked was if you bought bluefin for lots of money, do you then have to buy a map as well. I just wish I could be sure that the DTUK box could be used and removed without leaving it's 'DNA' on the ECU.

fastboy450rs
24-03-2012, 13:18
once uve brought a remap its urs for life most companies will reinstall it free if it gets wiped

Terry1718
03-04-2012, 18:02
This is part of an email I received from Superchips regarding a new ECU map for the 2.0 CDTi 165ps Start/Stop engine as fitted to my GTC SRI.

"The ECU hardware type is one we can read but the software carries the latest type of encryption that we cannot currently alter. We won’t be able to remap your car at this moment in time until we make a breakthrough with this* encryption".

Guess I'll have to wait a bit longer for a remap which maintains the warranty.

cornishtaz
03-04-2012, 18:20
I spoke to Thorney at the begining of March about a remap and their still working on cracking the encryption, apparently its very similar to the security used for online banking

DanEds
03-04-2012, 18:26
I spoke to Thorney at the begining of March about a remap and their still working on cracking the encryption, apparently its very similar to the security used for online banking

Thinking of a remap instead of the box mate?

cornishtaz
03-04-2012, 18:42
Thinking of a remap instead of the box mate?

Might do abit further down the line

DanEds
03-04-2012, 19:05
Might do abit further down the line

Might be a while again, as Im sure they have been trying to crack the encryption since January.

Must be a good one! :lol:

Terry1718
03-04-2012, 19:09
I think they need to employ a good hacker. You'd think that Vauxhall would give them a bit of help since they stand by the warranty, or maybe that's why they're not helping them!

DanEds
03-04-2012, 19:13
I think they need to employ a good hacker. You'd think that Vauxhall would give them a bit of help since they stand by the warranty, or maybe that's why they're not helping them!

Was thinking exactly that earler mate whilst trying to decide what mod to do on my car first.

Broady1973
12-06-2012, 14:01
With the box is there any side effects that harm the engine don't fancy killing a new engine with 1500 on the clock LOL

alan_tre
26-10-2012, 12:58
no the dtuk box is amazing it wont hurt your car only you will if you drive it hard all the time...

Dirtydieseldog
31-03-2013, 15:55
Anyone got a box on their gtc 2.0cdti 165?

MollyGoogle
31-03-2013, 15:58
Anyone got a box on their gtc 2.0cdti 165?

loads of people have the Red Box on their 165, don't think CRD-T is the way forward for them

mark b
12-05-2014, 04:45
In the interest of an update on this. I'm running the new crd2+ on my 165 and its great. I need to get it on an RR so I know exactly what I'm pushing but from what I can feel between driving that and my fiancée's corsa burg its got to be around the 200 mark. I want to compare them but it'll have to be from a rolling start as the burgs got an LSD and grips so much better anyway.