: Astra H Trip computer and stereo controls - Do they work with aftermarket Head Unit

nortcliffe
12-09-2006, 21:32
I HAVE AN ASTRA H 150CDTI SRI
I WORK FOR A VAUXHALL DEALER AND I AM TRYING TO INSTALL A AFTERMARKET HEADUNIT TO INSTALL SUBS AND AMP.

BUT STILL KEEP THE STEERING WHEEL CONTROLS AND THE COMPUTER STILL FUNCTIONING NO ONE SEEMS TO HAVE SOLVED THIS PROBLEM. I AM WORKING ON IT BUT CAN ANYBODY HELP WITH THIS PROBLEM??????

I THINK TO GET ROUND THIS PROBLEM THE ORIGINAL STEREO NEEDS TO STAY AS IT IS THE ECU FOR THE TRIP COMPUTER, EVEN IF IT MEANS MOVING IT TO THE GLOVE BOX. THEN BRIDGING THE WIRING LOOM TO A NEW AFTERMARKET STEREO WHICH HAS CAPABLE AUDIO LEADS FOR SUBS AND AMPS. ALSO THE FACTORY HEAD UNIT WOULD STILL BE GIVING THE COMPUTER INFORMATION EG MPG ON THE DISPLAY.

bluchrome
13-09-2006, 11:09
Is this your keyboard??
http://www.goodexperience.com/broken/i/04/02/capslock-s.jpg

Vince
13-09-2006, 11:15
Working for a Vauxhall dealer you really ought to know this!

If you put an aftermarket head unit in you will not lose the trip comp, however you will only be able to access it via buttons the steering wheel. I do not know much about the steering wheel adapters to be fair but I have a VDO unit in my H and all the buttons work as they should inc trip computer. iirc Pioneer make an adapter for the H as well.

Using the VDO unit I have retained some of the original features such as the speed dependent volume however for some settings you will need to reinstall the original head unit or use tech 2.

nortcliffe
15-09-2006, 20:53
i didnt know this as working for vauxhall dealer we dont fit many aftermarket parts. Just genuine vauxhall parts and stereos believe it or not with us being a vauxhall dealer and all!!!!!

Thanks for your reply i did find out that there is a new vdo stereo single din which may be able to operate the same as the standard stereo. for example it should work the system settings and display settings just like a standard stereo.

Robbieben
15-09-2006, 22:25
edworthys.co.uk supply various adaptors to suit Vaux stereo control's to various headunits, some allow full functionallity as with standard vaux equipment:)

tassie devil
16-09-2006, 20:43
connects2 do adapters for some stereo's like kenwood,sony, pioneer.

https://www.connects2.com/c2search.aspx?catID=24&manID=233&modID=555

Vince
17-09-2006, 21:07
Thanks for your reply i did find out that there is a new vdo stereo single din which may be able to operate the same as the standard stereo. for example it should work the system settings and display settings just like a standard stereo.

Any idea what VDO unit this is, I've just had a 5405 MP3X fitted and it doesn't do this afaik....