: ECN 227956 code

naebother
01-07-2011, 10:13
Hi,
Can anyone help with this code please. I was driving up through France coming back from holiday, when the EML came on, no spanner light. Stopped and checked all I could, not much, and seemed ok. when the ignition is turned on insp 0 shows, but I thought that was because it is near its three year service. The car drove as normal and felt no different. After a nervous crawl through France the light went out after coming from the tunnel, and hasn't come on again. The car is a 1998 zafira 1.9 cdti elite. Don't know if there is a connection, but sometimes the cruise control won't work.

HERC
01-07-2011, 10:15
Quote from a very trustworthy source

Insp 0 is a warning for your oil on a Zafira as its tried to do a Regen and has dumped the fuel into the engine! Check the oil level NOW and get it to a dealer asap

I would do the above :thumbs:

Garyscdti
01-07-2011, 10:47
P2279 Intake Air System Leak Detected B-035

Usually means the EGR is choked up.

LADmachining
01-07-2011, 10:49
P2279 Intake Air System Leak Detected B-035

Usually means the EGR is choked up.

You want to get this fault investigated and resolved ASAP before it clogs up the DPF and costs you .

naebother
02-07-2011, 12:42
thanks I'll change the oil today to be on the safe side then get it in for its service. It should be a warranty job as it has six weeks to go before it is three years old, although I think the dealer might put up a fight about the warranty. I don't understand why it was regenerating after an eight hundred mile run down the motorway. Apart from the MPG dropping is there any other way to tell if it is regenerating, to avoid switching off halfway through. I think it is a bad idea to dump the fuel into the sump

naebother
21-07-2011, 17:11
problem sorted, the dealer changed the EGR, with no complaint at all. I still cannot understand why it should do a re gen after an 800 mile drive, but no worries, think I'll clean the egr once a year to be on the safe side. Thanks for the advice from everybody, as usual it is spot on.

LADmachining
21-07-2011, 20:21
800 miles is about the right interval between regens, that's certainly what my Signum does.

naebother
21-07-2011, 21:53
wish they had put a warning light or something to tell when it is doing a re gen, I couldn't tell when it was regenerating ,or I wouldn't have stopped it

LADmachining
22-07-2011, 08:35
In older versions of software, I think the glow plug light used to flash when a regen was due to start. This feature was removed as people took their car into the garage when the light flashed because they thought there was a problem with the car.

The only was I can tell a regen is happening is the huge rise in fuel consumption (0.8 gal/hr at idle, rather than 0.1) and the engine feely a little lumpier than usual.

Mixman
22-07-2011, 08:38
The only was I can tell a regen is happening is the huge rise in fuel consumption (0.8 gal/hr at idle, rather than 0.1) and the engine feely a little lumpier than usual.

Pretty much same with me but then I've spent so much time with the Zafira now you can tell by the engine sound that it's started happening.

800 miles between re-gens is round about the same as mine too.

naebother
22-07-2011, 16:26
Thanks, so once I can detect a regen I'll watch for it around 800 miles. That gives me an idea what to look for, only problem is it's my wifes car, so I'll tell her to watch the mpg before switching off. Once again thanks for the advice it is appreciated.

Marks_DTM_Calib
25-07-2011, 07:49
Yeh, about 800-1000 miles on the later ECU (2008) software.....a little longer between regen intervals on the early software.

rick45
29-07-2011, 06:42
check the plastic pipes that come off dpf, check to see if melted or split, quick repair with 8mm i/d petrol pipe.