: How to remove oil filter on 1.9 CDTI

deluded
24-06-2011, 18:44
Can anyone give me a hint on how to remove the oil filter on the 1.9 diesel?

I've tried using a big spanner on the 'hex nut' bit on the end of the housing, but it didn't want to shift, and I didn't want to break the plastic housing.

Is it worth buying one of the oil filter removal tools (generally a handle with rubber belt that grips the outer housing)?

The sump plug had been put on very tightly, needing an air gun to remove, I assume that the filter has been equally tightened in the past.

Thanks for any help!

HERC
24-06-2011, 18:57
I have not done it myself, but I have heard that the Filter removal toos are really good at what they do

MokkaMonkeyMutz
24-06-2011, 18:58
Big socket (36mm ish) extension bar, and ratched, all 1/2 inch

Scrooge
24-06-2011, 19:10
1/2" ratchet with a 32mm socket on. Have the ratchet gearbox side of the exhaust and you will be ok. If your feeling flush you can buy a 1/2" ratchet with a swivel head and this allows the ratchet to fully clear the exhaust.

Scrooge
24-06-2011, 19:12
And buy a new sump plug as it WILL round off if its very tight

kevybmk3
24-06-2011, 19:20
I managed to do it from above with a 1/2 socket, sump plug is a different story :lol:

Scrooge
24-06-2011, 19:24
I managed to do it from above with a 1/2 socket, sump plug is a different story :lol:

That must of been some dance as it so easy to get to from below :lol:

Garyscdti
24-06-2011, 19:30
My sump plug was in a very sorry state when I'd finished & I didn't have a spare so had cut each side when I got it off to leave a protruding slot for a spanner for next time (for when I have got a spare)

deluded
24-06-2011, 19:41
Wow - thanks for all the replies - 32mm socket then!

Didn't think about doing it from above - but I'll have a look. Saves me getting covered in oil again!

rob99
24-06-2011, 20:30
And buy a new sump plug as it WILL round off if its very tight

a new sump plug wont be any good if ya round yours off :lol::lol::lol:

deluded
24-06-2011, 20:49
The sump plug didn't look damaged, was just on very tight.

But since I have to redo the oil change since I couldn't get filter off, then I'll swap that at same time. Good job I only put standard GM oil in, not the expensive stuff!

Missing_pilot
24-06-2011, 22:05
lol.. i had this issue as the stealer decided to use an airgun to do up the sump plug and filter cover it as my mate who's a machanic and quite beefy really struggled to undo them and we both had to push using our legs as it was stupid tight!

In the end hand to hammer over a 12mm socket to undo the sump plug as it was rounded off with the 13mm it was supposed to be used.. :\

Took over an hour and a half to do a filter/oil change that should of taken 20 min :roll:

deluded
24-06-2011, 22:15
It's worth investing in a small compressor and air gun, or even the cheapo 12V impact guns from Argos. They've saved me a lot of time in the past.

deluded
25-06-2011, 20:20
Swapped the filter today without too much drama - 32mm socket fits perfectly, still not a lot of room to move but it loosens off quite quickly.

Out of interest, anyone know why the torque for the sump plug is so low (20nm) compared to a 1.7 engine (78nm)?

Scrooge
25-06-2011, 21:23
lol.. i had this issue as the stealer decided to use an airgun to do up the sump plug and filter cover it as my mate who's a machanic and quite beefy really struggled to undo them and we both had to push using our legs as it was stupid tight!

In the end hand to hammer over a 12mm socket to undo the sump plug as it was rounded off with the 13mm it was supposed to be used.. :\

Took over an hour and a half to do a filter/oil change that should of taken 20 min :roll:

Not being funny but if they done that the sump would be damaged, Even when torqued correctly they can seize. We used to get lots of Mk2 Mondeo TDi's that used to seize in the sump and they where something like 14nm!

Missing_pilot
25-06-2011, 23:13
Not being funny but if they done that the sump would be damaged, Even when torqued correctly they can seize. We used to get lots of Mk2 Mondeo TDi's that used to seize in the sump and they where something like 14nm!

lol.. thats what my mate seemed to think as it was that tight and not come across one that tight before :\

He said the way to do it was do it up till it goes tight, then nip it that way it wont have the issue we had?