: ESP & ABS light on

2004arron
17-12-2010, 02:42
hay guy and gals

I have an astra (H) 2005 model 1.8 sri. a week ago my hand brake got stuck on at work (i'm thinking this was due to the cold weather as the clock said -15.) i managed to release the handbrake. whilst driving down the lane from work the esp and abs light apeared on the dash.

every now and again they go out (seems to be when the weather walms up) but all when i turn the ignition the speedo goes crazy, boucing up and down.

i've done the pedal test on the car and it hasnt thrown up any codes..

could the problem also be that my discs and pads are going to need changing with in a month or 2? but surly this would send the speedo needle hay wire!!

so any help would be great.......

P.S some one told me to check the abs sensors on each wheel and give them a blast with WD 40, is this ok to do?

many thanks arron

blinkle bells
17-12-2010, 07:56
the bouncing speedo is usually caused by a faulty ABS module. Worn pads wouldnt cause this problem.

sometimes the abs sensors get dirty and need a bit of a clean but id be wary of using WD40 near the brakes.

The pedal test doesnt work for ABS/ESP related codes so even if there are any stored, it wouldnt show them.

sometimes when driving in icy conditions, the car can put the ABS and ESP lights on but driving for about 5 miles normally will usually clear it. sounds a bit more involved with what your describing.

the car gets its speed from the front wheels, passenger side first so the handbrake problem shouldnt be related.

ChristmaSteve
17-12-2010, 09:40
i went through water last week and the lights came on and next day after few miles the lights went off, its probs the sensors got bit water in

kevybmk3
17-12-2010, 18:12
Sounds like a wiring issue regarding the speedo!

When i lose grip in the snow & wet, the traction light does comes on sometimes to say i am working!

But i cant recall the Abs light coming on when i have slammed the brakes!

Give it a spray with wd40, go for a cruise, if it still doesn't sort itself then get down to the stealers!

If it was fine beforehand then perhaps forcing the handbrake has screwed something! (Y)

2004arron
17-12-2010, 22:33
thanks for the response's guys

also on the way to work the speedo just fell to 0mph when i was driving (when i was doing 60)

i'll wait until this snow disapears and get under neath it.

would using a air compresor on the sensor better than using WD to blow away any crap?

what's vxl's proceude when getting a problem like this? e.g. do they slap it on the diagnostic first then isolate the sensors to find the fault, or just take the wheels off?

********Sounds like a wiring issue regarding the speedo!***********

is this a common fault on the astra???

blinkle bells
17-12-2010, 22:36
there is a sort of common fault but its not wiring. the bouncing speedo is caused by the ABS module being faulty.

the car calculates its speed from the front passenger sensor. if that fails, it uses the drivers side sensor.

id not recommend using compressed air, can cause some damage.

VX will plug it into the TECH2 to see what sensor isnt working before even taking the wheel off.

2004arron
17-12-2010, 22:51
right ok, i wont use the compressor.

on the diagnostic, would it throw up where the problem was, eg. pass wheel!

would u recommend taking it to the main dealer or fault find myself by buying a new abs module? would this inturn turn off the ESP on the dash?

blinkle bells
17-12-2010, 22:54
id say you needed a diagnostics first. i dont know anyone off here in wales with a code reader. assuming its out of warranty, you might find it cheaper to go to an independent garage.

dont start throwing parts at it, the abs module isnt cheap.

got to say, if it was my car, id probably take it to the vauxhall dealer but then im a bit lazy

2004arron
17-12-2010, 23:01
i'll see if i can get it put on the diagnostics asap, i live between shrewsbury and hereford so pop into vauxhall when i'm passing..

its just finished its warranty, i'm gutted about that! its only done 40,000 miles (not bad for the year)

would a normal diagnostics from another garage be able to read the codes?

sorry for the lame questions, just trying to get a heads up

blinkle bells
17-12-2010, 23:07
if its just out of warranty, and its serviced at vauxhall you stand a chance of getting it repaired foc as good will, provided they dont just say you hit a kerb or something.

id start with a chat to your friendly dealer :)

2004arron
18-12-2010, 01:15
if its just out of warranty, and its serviced at vauxhall you stand a chance of getting it repaired foc as good will, provided they dont just say you hit a kerb or something.

id start with a chat to your friendly dealer :)

funny u say that, its due a service with them! i'll have to blag my way through it!

is it best to speak to customer services on the phone or go in do u think?

Scrooge
18-12-2010, 01:32
you will be looking for a P0500 fault code if you do the pedal test. Checking simple things such as the loom to the front left wheel hub for damage and the multi plug for water ingress/ corrosion would be the first port of call before ripping the abs unit out

2004arron
18-12-2010, 02:12
[QUOTE=Scrooge;1580836]you will be looking for a P0500 fault code if you do the pedal test. Checking simple things such as the loom to the front left wheel hub for damage and the multi plug for water ingress/ corrosion would be the first port of call before ripping the abs unit out[/QUOTE

ive done the pedal test and its showing 00000 so i presume theres no code (but i'll certainly look out for that one)

thats a great idea as i dont really want to be throwing money at this problem!

if i rang the AA or RAC out, surly they would put it on a diagnostic for me or even help to try and find the problem.. is this worth a go, may get my monies woth out of them?

wardr77
18-12-2010, 20:51
Had similar problems today. First time I've used the car for about a week, started it and both the ABS light and ESP light stayed on. Got to work turned the car off and started it again, lights still on. At lunchtime started it up again lights still on, drove down the road a bit hit the brakes, lots of ice and snow, ABS kicked in and lights went out, all ok after that, even when I turned the car off and started it again, wierd ah? Perhaps ABS and ESP just don't like these conditions....:lol:

2004arron
18-12-2010, 23:41
Had similar problems today. First time I've used the car for about a week, started it and both the ABS light and ESP light stayed on. Got to work turned the car off and started it again, lights still on. At lunchtime started it up again lights still on, drove down the road a bit hit the brakes, lots of ice and snow, ABS kicked in and lights went out, all ok after that, even when I turned the car off and started it again, wierd ah? Perhaps ABS and ESP just don't like these conditions....:lol:

i'll give it ago one of these days!! keep me posted on how it gets on!!

2004arron
23-12-2010, 18:14
A quick update for u guys, I've just had the car put on the diagnostics and its come up with a front left wheel sensor fault, so I need a new hub!

The price from the garage is 175 plus labour.

Does anyone know where I can get one cheaper?? Any help would be great!

Arrom

2004arron
23-12-2010, 18:14
A quick update for u guys, I've just had the car put on the diagnostics and its come up with a front left wheel sensor fault, so I need a new hub!

The price from the garage is 175 plus labour.

Does anyone know where I can get one cheaper?? Any help would be great!

Arrom

2004arron
24-12-2010, 03:00
should this part do the job??

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Vauxhall-Front-Hub-5Sstud-ABS-93186389-Astra-H-ZafiraB-/190418877500?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item2c55d97c3c