: common engine fault with mk6 astra 1.6

r8enw
04-09-2010, 09:44
hi, Ive just bought an 8 month old astra 1.6 exclusive from evans hallshaw.

when driving (normally) and especially under deceleration going through the gears 4th-3rd-2nd etc I experience almost a kangarooing effect.

Its most apparent when in 2nd the revs are around 2000rpm.

it doesn't make for a comfortable drive so we took it back to dealership under the warranty.
we took one of the mechanics out and they said it was normal!!!!

ive driven loads of cars old and new and this is the first time ive experienced it.

we spoke to the service manger and insisted we drive an equivalent car to see if it does the same thing, and surprisingly it did exactly the same kangarooing affect and no its not my driving style!

the managers response was that it was a characteristic of the astra 1.6 and until vauxhall recieve enough complaints to regard it as a fault nothing can be done to remedy it.

so i was wondering if anyone else has experienced these symptoms with the 1.6 as it is common with every single MK6 astra 1.6!!!

salona
06-09-2010, 08:26
I am having exactly the same issue as yourself and as with every single problem that I have reported to the dealer they have come back and said that they can't find a fault.
I am a fully qualified car mechanic and MOT tester and have driven thousands of different makes and models of cars and I think I know when a car isn't what it should be. This is the one car that I have purchased that I deeply regret buying and if I cannot get a satisfactory solution for all of the faults I am going to reject the car under the sale of goods act.

r8enw
08-09-2010, 21:33
I have also considered returning the vehicle, to be honest i don't want too. Vauxhall did say to me that if i were to get an independent inspection from a reputable source to say the car is not "satisfactory" they would accept a return!

Its so frustrating!!!!!!!!

But glad its not just me, hopefully they will act and find a solution in the form of an ECU upgrade or something.

isabel ice
09-09-2010, 15:11
there is a software upgrade for the engine ecu which cures the problem

Kiltox
09-09-2010, 15:30
Oh god, a "characteristic" - just like clutch judder was originally in the H :(.

salona
09-09-2010, 15:44
there is a software upgrade for the engine ecu which cures the problem

Any idea which upgrade it is? It would be good to go back to the dealer pre-armed with the information.

r8enw
10-09-2010, 20:31
I hope that a software upgrade would solve the problem. Tired of getting whiplash!!! lol

csteve
16-09-2010, 16:11
It would appear from this thread that vauxhall still haven't fixed the clutch judder problem. this is a common fault on the mk5. thought they had sorted it? maybe if they had listened to the complaints and acted on them. they could have resolved this issue. And even the lifetime warranty wont help as the clutch isn't covered on that.Best to report it immediately to your dealer.

gaskatron
19-09-2010, 07:37
Any idea which upgrade it is? It would be good to go back to the dealer pre-armed with the information.

I'm also hoping for a bit more info on this. I went to VX a few months back and nothing was mentioned regarding an ECU update.

Acceleration from a standstill is all or nothing. The engine either bogs down or it comes full boost and I'm lighting up the front tyres.

isabel ice
19-09-2010, 10:44
this is caused by a software weakness. in case of customer complaint program the ecu with the latest software version available onTIS2Web dated may2010 the upgraded software has been introduced on production since may 2010 for astra j and may 2010 for the insignia

isabel ice
19-09-2010, 10:49
just remembered fault codes P0234 and/or P16F3 may appear in the ecu in cars with the fault

Spam the Lamb
19-09-2010, 10:55
My 1.6 T judders at 2k rpm, but thats just the turbo boosting :P

blink
19-09-2010, 11:31
mine has the same thing but its more of a sudden surge in power :P

Vauxhalls have a lot of 'characteristics' such as the hesitaiton in the 1.6t, the clutch judder, the inability to select low gears etc etc.

I still like mine though :D

r8enw
19-09-2010, 22:07
firstly its great to get a reply off all of you so thanks, the problem on my car is more like a kangarooing than the symptoms of clutch judder. it happens when decelerating in low gears, vauxhall told me that it was due to the ECU trying toprevent the car from stalling, they said that when the revs drop when engine braking the car thinks its going to stall so compensates by slightly increasing the power. so I slow down for example mini roundabout in 2nd gear and instead of smooth engine braking its up and down repeatedly. it can be almost avoided with careful driving but at the end of the day its not right.
How can i get vauxhall to upgrade the ECU

Cheers

blink
19-09-2010, 22:14
the anti-stall doesnt work like that on mine, you can feel i kick in in 4th for example if you slow down to 10 say, it kicks in and the car starts pulling away again then will crawl for a bit.

can also do about 10 in 2nd with no accelerator :D smooth as a sausage too.

since your under warranty, take it to the dealer and tell them to sort it.

Spam the Lamb
19-09-2010, 22:16
I can go around a roundabout in 6th at 30 mph and its smooth as mash.

r8enw
19-09-2010, 22:20
It's the 1.6 non turbo an only has 5 gears unfortunately.

blink
19-09-2010, 22:21
still should be smooth though

r8enw
19-09-2010, 22:28
i totally agree, you buy a 8 month old car and that's what you'd expect. I can live with it but would like a solution, it's not good with a new born in the back.

blink
19-09-2010, 22:31
you buy it new?

take it back and start arguing, tell them you want to drive another 1.6, see if its the same

Spam the Lamb
20-09-2010, 06:59
tell them your off to buy a ****.

r8enw
20-09-2010, 20:15
I had taken it to vauxhall about 3 days after we'd first picked it up. the mechanic & service manager basically said there was no problem no solution and to accept it as a characteristic of the car!!!!!
I suppose I could try another dealership and keep pestering the **** off them!

Kiltox
20-09-2010, 21:17
Complain to VX direct and ask them if they think their 16,000 car should have such a characteristic.