: Heater blower not working on 123 only on 4..?

Sri_turbz
31-08-2010, 07:05
Hi guys, looks like my astra ownership is becomming a nightmare.. First central locking issue and now my heater blower only works on 4 setting, 123 are completly dead.. Can anyone help me out on this please :( :(

LADmachining
31-08-2010, 07:39
Most likely the heater motor resistor/speed controller has gone.

This in turn is caused by a defective motor, the bearings on which are starting to sieze, taking too much current and overloading the speed controller. Water getting into the heater box through a badly fitted scuttle trim panel is the normal cause of this.

Both motor and speed controller are found behind the glovebox. I am pretty sure that people have posted pictures of these parts and how to change them in the past...

idi
31-08-2010, 14:16
As above mate.

I had mine done recently. Its the resistor pack. It not to expensive to buy and fairly easy to fit.

Sri_turbz
31-08-2010, 17:45
Ok where do i get one from and how do i fit it..? If i just replaced the blower would that work? Or is it the actual resistor pack that i need?

LADmachining
31-08-2010, 17:55
The resistor/speed controller is the part that has failed and is preventing the blower from working on speeds 1,2 and 3. The blower itself is the usual CAUSE of the resistor failing. You could replace just the resistor, but if the blower is defective, the resistor will fail again in a short time.

If you remove the glovebox (4x T20 Torx screws), and look on the right hand side, you will see a tall access flap held by two hex head screws which covers the pollen filter. If you look to the top left of this flap, you will see a number of thick wires going into the top of the heater ducting - they connect to the speed controller. Disconnect the plug going into the top of the controller, then unclip it from the ducting.

The blower motor is accessed through the glove box as well, has a thick red and brown wires going into the base of it, and is secured with a number of hex head (5.5mm) screws.

As to where to get them - Vx dealer, eBay, online supplier (Autovaux etc), breakers yard (Vauxbits etc).

firebrad
23-02-2012, 15:50
Hi Guys, I have the same problem on my astra, I have just found a resistor on ebay

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Vauxhall-Astra-H-Heater-Fan-Resistor-/130644682489?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item1e6b07a6f9#ht_500wt_1054

Is this a good deal?

also, is it just the resistor that has failed? could I just get a new one and solder it on??

Cheers

Brad:P

firebrad
27-02-2012, 18:29
Bump!!

Has anyone here ever repaired a heater resistor unit by just replacing the burnt out resistor??